Saturday, August 3, 2019

Star Wars Adventures: Destroyer Down

I love Star Wars Adventures! It's the all-ages Star Wars comic book I wish I had growing up.
When IDW announced this spin-off, I was thrilled. I haven't been reading the post-Jedi novels. So, unless I find info online, I know very little about what lead up to the Battle of Jakku.

In this 3-issue miniseries, Rey and her fellow scavengers unlock the secrets of that climatic battle between Rebels and Imperial forces. When a sand storm uncovers the missing Star Destroyer, Spectral, it's a race to be the first to recover parts and assorted relics from the ghost ship. But Rey and company will have to be on alert, for this ghost ship really does have some phantoms aboard. 

I was a little upset at myself for missing this book when it came out as individual issues. I'm a big fan of Derek Charm's artwork on SWA. But this collection has an added bonus for those who waited like me- an action packed story set during the battle of Jakku! That's right! Fans will get to learn just what happened to cause the Spectral to crash. It's the perfect tie-in to the events of Destroyer Down!

Jon Sommariva (Rexodus) pencils the prequel tale. And while I love Charm, I though Sommariva added such a great Clone Wars touch to the story. 

Destroyer Down was a great blend of classic and new Star Wars. Scott Beatty (Nightwing: Year One) captured the spirit of Star Wars almost perfectly. The humorish moments ware pure fun. I especially loved a funny scene involving a thermal detonator and some skeptical storm troopers. The only thing missing was Han Solo...

A great read for fans of a galaxy far, far away!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars. 



No comments:

Post a Comment