Sunday, November 3, 2019

A Very DC Halloween

Collecting 2017's DC House of Horror and last year's Cursed Comics Cavalcade. This is a truly disturbing look at some of your favorite heroes from the House That Superman Built. 


Let's first examine DC House of Horror. I don't know how I overlooked this Halloween special. It's the main reason I bought this book. I already had Cursed Comics Cavalcade in my collection. But I could not pass up this getting my hands on this trade. 

Keith Giffen (Justice League) pens all of the stories in DC's House of Horror. Giffen, who is known for penning some rather lighter fare, such as all of those Ambush Bug stories, must have a dark side deep down. Every story in this special was extremely creepy. From a ghost story involving Harley Quinn and some poor haunted schmo hired to renovate the old Arkham Asylum ruins to a young American girl who summons the spirit of an Amazon warrior princess, I was creeped out by all of these stories. 

And that zombie Justice League story! Man, did that have a tragic ending!

The Cavalcade wasn't so bad. A couple of stories were rather light-hearted such as the Zatanna yarn in which her (and Fables' Bill Willingham) show a scared little girl the magic behind Halloween. The Swamp Thing and Demon stories were quite good as those fan favorites characters never seem to miss. And I enjoyed the twists of the Batman story and Robin/Solomon Grundy team-up. 

Speaking of that Batman episode, the villain introduced in that, Gorehound, needs to see a return in a multi-story arc in the pages of Detective Comics

I love Halloween comics. These didn't disappoint getting me in the holiday spirit. But I was unprepared for the level of depravity and sorrow that these normally upstanding and upbeat characters! 

I'm glad it's only just for All Hallow's Eve!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment