Saturday, November 23, 2019

Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door

In the aftermath of Hulk's battle was Sasquatch, an entity attached itself to the Big Green Machine. As a result, the Immortal Hulk has come enraged!

A poor, unsuspecting town in Iowa is ground zero for the Hulk's anger. On the scene are the Avengers. But they are all grossly unmatched against a sometimes ally who is completely uncontrollable and totally sadistic this time around. 

There appears to be only one way to stop the Hulk: a super-weapon that will vaporize not only the monster but the entire township. The plan will work. But does Earth's mightiest heroes have the courage to pull the trigger?

I've seen my share of Hulk rampages. There's been more violent skirmishes in the annuals of Marvel history. But I don't think I've ever seen the Hulk this evil- even when he was the Maestro! 

For the most part, even though it is another Hulk Vs. Avengers battle, this was a pretty original story. Except for this one scene in which the Hulk whispers something to his cousin, Jennifer Walters, AKA She-Hulk. Whatever the secret was, it immediately deflates Walters. The segment was very much like Thor's encounter with Nick Fury in the Original Sin storyline. Way to go all out on that Marvel!

Volume one was so creepy. It was retro. It was something that I felt that I'd be remembering for years to come. Volume 2 went in a completely different direction. One that while I was disappointed that the twist endings aspect of Immortal Hulk was gone, I still am hooked on this series.

I guess Al Ewing's desire to keep this series fresh is commendable. I really have no idea where Hulk is going to go next. This volume has an ending that has me rushing to the library for volume 3. It's still a great series. I just wasn't as enthralled by the Green Door as I could have been, I guess.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment