Friday, November 29, 2019

Casper’s Classic Christmas #1: A Family Comic Friday Extra!

With the 2019 Holiday season kicking off today, we’ve got another holiday special to review! Let’s take a look at Casper’s Classic Christmas in this Family Comic Friday Extra!



Casper’s Classic Christmas #1
Editor, Production and Design by Mike Wolfer
Published by American Mythology Productions
Retail: $3.99

Fans of Casper the Friendly Ghost and his friends will enjoy an early Christmas present with this special from American Mythology Productions!

Casper stars in a trio of holiday stories. In all three, the Friendly Ghost saves Christmas by assisting Santa with his annual toy delivery. While the stories have similar plots, each adventure has a twist that keeps Casper’s frequent rescue of Christmas fresh and fun!

The other stories star Hot Stuff, the L’il Devil and Spooky, Casper’s scampish ghost buddy. While those stories are also a delight, unfortunately, none of them are Christmas themed!
I love holiday comics. It’s something that I collect with such fervor, that they are some of the only books that I will pay full price in order to add to my collection. So it’s a bit of a pet peeve of mine when a holiday special isn’t chock full of holiday stories!

I would have been okay if the other 3 stories were of non-’spooky’ Harvey Comics characters like Richie Rich or L’il Dot. I even would have been okay with Jackie Jokers and I really can’t stand that guy! A Thanksgiving story would’ve been acceptable. As would have a New Year’s yarn! I just ask that my holiday comic purchases in some way be 100% festive!

Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful to American Mythology Productions for putting out this one-shot. I love how the publisher has been releasing holiday specials that reprint stories from before I was born. It’s a chance to find comics I otherwise couldn’t find in a dollar bin nor afford. My wallet is forever grateful!

I also really enjoyed the covers! The regular cover that has Santa’s toys escape from the sight of Casper was very retro and perfectly Casper! And that variant cover was a beautiful bit of Christmas eye-candy! On both covers was a gold and red ribbon and brilliant golden bow! They were ideal touches for the Christmas-themed logos!

Casper’s Classic Christmas does help to get comic book lovers in the Christmas spirit. I just which that this special was comprised entirely of holiday themed stories. Still, if you are a fan of those classic Harvey Comics from ages 1-92, you will love this special from your friends as American Mythology!

Casper’s Classic Christmas #1 debuted in print and other digital formats on November 27th, 2019.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment