Thursday, March 4, 2021

Three Stooges: Thru The Ages One-Shot


I'm not able to head over to my favorite LCS every week; what with a partial return to work. Thankfully, the fellas over at Books Do Furnish a Room have been holding stuff for me on my list. And this week was my chance to finally pick up some issues that were collecting dust.

From the cover, it appears that Three Stooges: Thru The Ages would finally address the changing line-up of Shemp, Curly and Curly Joe. One existed in the prehistoric past. Another lives in the time of knights and dragons. The third is from the future. But unfortunately, this is definitely one of those times you shouldn't judge a book from it's cover. 

Thru The Ages marks the 5th anniversary of American Mythology having the licensing rights to produce Stooges comics. We do get 3 stories each starring a rotating member of the trio. Instead, we get a zoo caper with Shemp. Curly is goaded into wrestling a bruiser in hopes of winning some cash. And Curly Joe seems to play third fiddle as Moe and Larry try to persuade a big-wig producer to fund their next project. All 3 stories were rather funny and I don't regret paying full price for this one-shot. But the plots do nothing to reflect the cover with was a big selling point for me.

There were a couple of cool extras. One was a complete rundown of all of the Stooges comics from American Mythology. This has helped me to determine what Halloween and Christmas specials are now on my wish list. But did you know that there was an April Fool's issue?? That plus the revelation of an All-Shemp issue are now on my radar. 

The other extra is an interview with 2 of Larry Fine's great-grandsons and a grandson of Curly's. That was an interesting insight at being the legacy of comedic and cultural icons. And the rare photos of the Boys were really cool.

I enjoyed this read. It didn't turn out how I expected. But it was a much needed read for refreshment and humorous delight.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment