Friday, February 16, 2024

Olivia Wolf and the Night of the Giant Monsters (Family Comic Friday)

Young werewolf Olivia Wolf lives in the community of Monstrocity. (What a great name for a monster metropolis!) Monstrocity is a large burg in which humans and monsters live in relative peace and tranquility. However that harmony is threatened by the arrival of a number of gigantic monsters running amok in Olivia's hometown.

Normally these brutes steer clear of Monstrocity due to the threat of sunlight. Only something is keeping the sun from rising and Olivia's two-headed canary, Cheep-Cheep, from issuing forth a brand new day. Thus it's up to Olivia, her best friends and their parents to bring the sunlight back and to save Monstrocity before it's too late!

This is the second book in the Olivia Wolf series. It's my first encounter. I thought that the dialogue was great. The cartoony art was creative and kinetic. However, it also featured one the most disturbing looking monsters in all of my encounters with family friendly comics and graphic novels. (Note: A couple of those creatures are in the background of the cover!)

Most of the giants that attack Olivia's city are pretty cool looking. But there's these things that look like gigantic spiders with one eye that really creeped me out. They reminded me of the monster from the Cloverfield series as well as some eerie video of a slender Kaiju one of my students showed me. I know that the monster drawn by Jose Fragoso wasn't intended to be scary. Most readers of the recommended ages of 7-11 for this book probably wouldn't even bat an eye at the creature. As for me, it still gives me shivers 

A smartly written story that is secretly about inclusion and acceptance. It's a story with a moral that isn't preachy. Plus it's full of characters that I want to revisit again and again. I just ask that that tall lanky cyclops thing relocates to another township.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment