Monday, April 22, 2024

Matzah Man to the Rescue! (Family Comic Friday)


Note: Due to a death in my family, I got behind on things. This review was meant for last week's Family Comic Friday. However, life and emotions got in the way. Please enjoy this better late than never review!

The house cat stole your shank bone? Run out of unleavened bread for the Seder? Grandma didn't make the charoset because she thought Grandpa was doing it? If you answer yes to any of these Passover celebration calamities, then you must call upon Matzah Man!

This all ages graphic novel is a perfect introduction into the Jewish holiday of Passover! I'm married into a Jewish family and I've participated in the Passover Seder before. Yet I learned some new stuff about the holiday from reading this book!

Matzah Man to the Rescue! is divided into several easy to read chapters. The artwork is a mixed medium of cartoon art and real life photographs. So if the young readers in your life have never learned about Passover before and don't know what a matzo looks like, they'll be able to now thanks to Illustrator Charlie Fowkes. I just wish writer Eric Kimmel had devoted more space than just a paragraph about how to make charoset, since the use of it on Matzah wafers are history's first records of what we now refer to as the sandwich. 

This is a turbulent time in history. The conflicts in Israel are full of good intentions and terrible atrocities. Antisemitism is at a 75 year high and don't think for a minute that I am not aware nor compassionate towards those Palestinian families that are in the middle of a war because of their faith and heritage as well as extremists who acted independently of the majority. Iranians too! I have cousins who are Iranians and they often talk about how their family and friends long to be free of the regime that currently rules Iran with an iron fist.

My hope reading this graphic novel accomplishes 3 things. I've already achieved my goal of reading and collecting a new holiday themed graphic novel. Now I hope others looking to teach their little ones about the Jewish culture will go out and get this book. Then I hope that learning experience might help spread understanding, love and peace to a troubled section of our ailing world.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment