Friday, November 23, 2018

Rugrats: C is for Chanukah (Family Comic Friday)

I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving. Now that we’re done with the turkey and football, parades and such, it’s time for Family Comic Friday to focus on the holidays This week we begin reviewing  holiday specials for 2018. But before we get ready for a visit from Santa, we must get ready for the festival of lights. To help us, we’ve got some little tykes with big imaginations. It’s Kaboom’s Rugrats: C is for Chanukah.

Rugrats: C is For ChanukahWritten by Daniel Kibblesmith, Cullen Crawford
Illustrated by Kate Sherron
Published by Kaboom! Studios.


(Note: There are dozens of ways to spell Chanukah. I will be using ‘Hanukkah’ as my family spells it during our traditional festivities, unless referring to the title of the book.)

I was absolutely thrilled when I first heard about this comic. To my knowledge, there’s never been a Hanukkah special. There’s been Hanukkah stories in the pages of DC, Marvel and even Archie holiday specials. But as far as I can tell C is for Chanukah is the first of its kind. (At least from a major publisher.)  I’m sure that this has made Mr. Adam Sandler’s day and eight crazy nights!

Rugrats is the perfect vehicle to introduce people to Hanukkah. In 1995, the Snick cartoon made history introducing millions to the Jewish holiday of Passover with 1995’s A Rugrats Passover. Now Tommy, Chuckie, Angelica and the twins Phil and Lil introduce the miracle of Hanukkah to families in this hilarious special.

The kids and their families embark in a week-long winter vacation. Watching the Reptar Chanukah Special, Tommy and friends get a very weird education into the holiday’s origins. Thus during this vacay, Tommy’s grandparents, the Kropotkin’s decide it’s the right time to start teaching the kids about Hanukkah.

Unfortunately, Mr. Kropotkin isn’t exactly the best storyteller and he tells the babies of a golem monster that eats bad little children when the lights go off. Thus, Tommy and friends decide to go on the offensive. With flashlights in hand, can the Rugrats survive 8 whole nights with a Hanukkah monster on the loose? Where’s Reptar when you need him?!

One of the best things about the Rugrats cartoon was how the babies got things wrong and try to solve their dilemmas with their overactive imaginations. Writers Daniel Kibblesmith (Valiant High) and Cullen Crawford do a fantastic job capturing that sense of wonder in this book. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nickelodeon decided to adapt this book into a 30-minute animated special. I would watch it!

The book was laugh-out-loud funny! The dialogue was perfect. Thankfully, Chuckie’s very annoying father, Chaz, has a part of this story that was kept to a minimum. I’m also glad that the Christmas Vs. Hanukkah rivalry between Tommy’s grandfathers wasn’t as big a deal as the trade solicitations advertised it as being. I think that would have minimized the importance of Hanukkah.

I loved the art in this book as well. Artist Kate Sherron (Amazing World of Gumball) does a fabulous job making everybody look like their 1990s counterparts. But I also appreciate how the artist renders the Reptar TV special and the children’s daydreams in different art styles to keep the excitement fresh and engrossing.

I really wanted to personally own a copy of this book. Holiday comics are one of my favorite things to collect and read. C is for Chanukah would have been a perfect addition to my collection. However, that just isn’t meant to be just yet. I went to several comic book stores the day after the book dropped and each store was sold out!

This is one of the few times where I will tell you that if you can’t find it in print, go digital! The book retails for $7.99. However, it’s bigger than a regular 24-page comic and it’s just so funny and informative at the same time! If you come from a mixed Jewish/Christian family like I do or you have friends who are curious about the Jewish people and their cultures, I highly recommend this book! Make it your Hanukkah present to them!

Now if someone would only make a Kwanzaa holiday special, my collection would be complete… almost. Who am I kidding? I’m never gonna stop hunting for a new holiday special!

Rugrats: C is for Chanukah debuted in print and digital platforms on Wednesday, November 14th.

Hanukkah, 2018 begins the evening of December 2nd.



No comments:

Post a Comment