Sunday, May 26, 2024

Riverdale Free Comic Book Day 2018 #1

I was waiting in my car for my bride's haircut to end yesterday. I had forgotten my phone and my favorite radio show wasn't on the air. So I dug around my vehicle in hopes of something to read when I found this! I had packed some FCBD reads I had doubles off to give to the kids in our Comic Book Club. I guess this 2018 offering had fallen out. I'm glad it did because it sure saved the day and I would have kept missing out on an amazing read.

Titled 'Pop's Little Chock'lit Shoppe of Horrors', this comic is set in the universe of the CW's Riverdale live action series. Now I've never watched an episode of the show. But as always, I do my research to learn a little bit about all aspects of pop culture. So I know that Riverdale is a show with a lot of creepy stuff floating around in the background of America's most popular small town. This book appears to be no different than the TV show.

Betty is writing a series of articles about Riverdale icons and selects Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe for her next feature. While talking with Pop, who happens to have taken the name after the death of his father, the original Pop, Betty learns about the bizarre history of the restaurant. From famous guests to paranormal investigators to old Scratch himself, a lot of diners have come through those doors and brought with them a host of evil and odd occurrences. 

Archie Comics does two things very well: classic style books and horror. This FCBD comic was definitely a well executed horror book. Ironically, while a Riverdale set version of the Little Chock'lit Shoppe of Horrors was never produced after this freebie, Archie editors knew not to let a great idea die and in 2022 and 23, issued Halloween time one-shots based on the theme. Only this time around, the books are set in the modern Archie universe created by Mark Waid and Fiona Staples.

Based on their gory covers, I hadn't given any interest in those restaurant set spooktaculars. But based on the quality of the one that started them all, I might just give them a second glance if I ever come across them.

A good one-shot. But it's got an ending that would make me change my mind and remove this issue from my collection. I don't like horrors that involve the devil and this book sure has an evil ending to it. You might be seeing this book on an area free shelf sometime soon...

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment