Thursday, May 25, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 144

 

  I've been looking forward to this day since I first came up with the idea of A Madman Turns 40. Today marks the 40th anniversary of the debut of Star Wars. 
   
      That epic story of good versus evil. A young farmer boy becomes the hero of a fledgling rebellion. 

       A love story that spans ages. Boy rescues girl. Boy kisses girl- a lot. Turns out boy and girl are siblings. 
Opening day of Star Wars at Mann's Chinese Theatre.

       I love Star Wars. It's always been around. Loved it so much, I was playing the soundtrack today during the cooking class I teach in honor of Star Wars turning 40.

      For most, turning 40 would freak them out. Not me. As long as Star Wars is my same age, I'm fine with it. I was that way when I turned 30. Same when I turned 35. Getting older doesn't bother me because Star Wars is the same age as I. Plus, Star Wars doesn't die. My parents, who encouraged my love of Star Wars, especially my dad, have passed. But Star Wars has always been there for me.


The original 4 Burger King glasses. I still need them for my collection.

       I really wanted there to be some sort of showing of the first Star Wars in theatres today.  But I guess Disney didn't think it through enough to do such a thing. That's okay- I've been catching up on episodes of Star Wars Rebels today instead. 
The early bird Star Wars figures.
Kenner didn't know that Star Wars would be so hot and didn't make enough
action figures. So for Christmas, 1977, Most kids got a certificate
promising to ship the figures ASAP.

        Star Wars changed the world. It changed movies. Inspired a generation of new film makers. It changed how sequels are crafted and film franchises are marketed not just to fans but specifically kids. Thanks to Star Wars, big blockbuster movies have to have toys and merchandise in order to help make money and meet customer demand. 


I even named 2 of my children after characters in the film-
Guess which 2. You'll never get the right answer!

        Star Wars and it's director, George Lucas changed how we consume. Yet, despite any draw backs, I wouldn't change a thing about it. 

      Okay- I would change 1 thing...


      HAN SHOT FIRST!
  
     Well, that's my look at 1977 for today. Until next time-

     May the Force Be With You...

No comments:

Post a Comment