Sunday, May 21, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- day 140

       It's the final curtain tonight for the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus. So for today's A Madman Turns 40 let's look at what this piece of Americana looked like the year I was born...
  
The Official 1977 Tour Book.
My Aunt Cindy had a copy of this when I was little.
I spent hours reading it...

       One of my cousins was a member of the circus. This is the 1976-1977 line-up (BELOW.) I'm not sure if he was a part of the group at this time or not. But it's a pretty cool picture. 




       In my opinion, the removal of the elephants from the circus was Ringling Bros. final nail in the coffin. America has had such a fascination with the giant beasts. Not having them play a part of it I think cause circus goers to lose interest. 
A trio of friends sharing a cold beverage.

The Legendary animal trainer Gunther Gebel-Williams with a big cat buddy. I got to see him a couple of times before he retired in 1990.

Animal trainer Meryl Meister and her dancing poodles,
backstage at Madison Square Garden.
Monkeying around...
These guys were still around when I would go to the circus as a kid...

Well, that's a brief look at the Big Top during my birth year. Sadly, it's now the end of an era. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment