Sunday, May 21, 2017

Street Fighter V: Wrestling Special (Free Comic Book Day, 2017)

   In this offering from this year's Free Comic Book Day, a young fighter named Dan who's been training his whole life to be a fighter finally gets a chance to enter the ring. His opponent- a group of WWE Diva type wrestlers who want to be treated as fairly as the men wrestlers are. Much is at stake with this battle royale. For Dan- the chance to prove himself. For the ladies- a new hot tub in the women's dressing room!
    Then travel back to the 1980s when the Cold War was fought weekly on the mat of the squared circle. Here a Soviet wrestler battles an American soldier themed grappler. It looks like the pride of Mother Russia is going to win it all, thanks to the help of Mikhail Gorbachev?! Good thing our American fighter has the Gipper, 40th President Ronald Reagan, to help make this a fair fight. 
      I've never read a Street Fighter comic book before. But in the 90s, I would play marathon sessions with cousins and buddies in my neighborhood. What I remember is that Street Fighter was a martial arts themed video game. So where's all this wrestling coming from?
     Both stories were truly bizarre. Though I don't think you can get any weirder than tale starring the battling leaders of the USSR and the good ole US of A. I didn't really have plans to read this book any time soon but I got stuck in line at a drive thru forever and thankfully, I had a copy on hand. Don't ask why- but it's always good to have a book or two on hand for emerengcies such as this. 
     I laughed out loud a few times. Whether this was intentional by the good folks at Capcom and UDON Entertainment or not, is unknown to me. But it did give me a few chuckles. 
        With some racy art and a couple of scenes of guys getting kicked in the nuts, this is not an all-ages comic. But if you are a wrestling family, this book with be right up your alley.

       Worth Consuming!

       Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment