Thursday, November 16, 2017

Weird War Tales Special

Vertigo's 2000 special devoted to Weird War Tales was just plain weird...

In a tale from Garth Ennis, a quartet of buddies swap war stories while waiting out a rain storm. Then learn the secrets behind Helen of Troy. The brief history of warfare reveals a never ending pattern of bloodshed while a custodian attempts to make a nuclear holocaust a little bit prettier place to live. Plus a POW in Vietnam is saved thanks to his dynamic drawing skills. 

I should have known from the book's cover that this isn't my Weird War Tales. I have such fond memories of that title. This thing gave me heartburn.

The book doesn't have a rating but this definitely isn't for kids. There's some very, VERY graphic material here- mostly it's all in conversation (and mostly I'm pointing my finger at the Garth Ennis tale!) That one really shook me to my core and not in a good way at all.

I only paid a quarter for this from a bargain bin. Yet, I feel like I want my money back on this. 

And just what the heck is that thing on the cover supposed to be?

Rating: 5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment