Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Youngblood Volume 1: Focus Tested


The government is looking to reform the Youngblood team. Only this time, the reboot will be televised. Now the stars of their own reality TV series, Youngblood is guided more by focus groups and marketing strategy than by original member Shaft. So when Youngblood is openly challenged by members of it's former arch-enemies, Mayhem Inc., the heroes must determine whether this is all for ratings or are their foes really out for blood?

This 2008 reboot of Youngblood wasn't something I had on my wish list, much less my radar. But I recently got a Bento Box and this was one of the books included. 

I liked the premise that super heroes would be treated as celebrities and those first couple of issues were excellent. But the cliffhanger of issue #2 going into issues 3 and 4 caused a paradigm shift and all that I really enjoyed about this book was gone. Like all of the cameos of famous people. Almost a dozen pepper the first two issues. By the end of the fourth issue, all we got was a strange appearance of what was supposed to be Jay Leno, but his chin was way too small!

There's a second volume that concludes this series. But the piss-poor quality of the second half of this book isn't inspiring me to run out to my local book store to know what happens next. If I come across it, great. But I will not loose sleep if I do not find out what happens next.

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment