Sunday, November 26, 2017

Phantom of Fear City #10



Every 10 years, a pirate's ghost is given a chance to escape purgatory and cross over to the other side. His task is to make a living woman fall in love with him. Having been rejected by his latest best chance of salvation, the so-called Phantom of Fear City counts down his final hours of freedom before having to spend another decade in limbo. So when the former object of his affection finally realized she does in fact love the Phantom, can she reunite with him before his time runs out?

From 1993, I found this book in a grab bag and thought from the cover scene of a seance, this would make a great Halloween read. Written by Steve Englehart (Captain America), if you were to base this series on just my description, you'd think it's just a soap opera love story. And there's elements of that. But there's so much great stuff going on in the background, along with tie-ins to a couple of other series that ran alongside this title back in 1993.

I would have to say that this book was a lot like Dark Shadows of which I am a fan. Yes, it's a little sappy, but the supernatural elements of Fear City have won me over to finding not only the rest of this 12-issue miniseries but the other companion titles that I saw advertised in this comic- Soulsearchers and Company and Deadbeats.

I have never heard of Claypool Comics before. But somehow they were able to snag Englehart along with George Perez (Crisis on Infinite Earths) on covers and Amanda Conner (Harley Quinn) on a backup story starring the Soulsearchers; a group of ghost hunters who are the world's worst Ghostbusters! Impressive, I must say.

A very good introduction to a whole universe of stories that I hope to come across in my comic book searches sometime in the near future.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment