Saturday, September 20, 2008

"ACTION COMICS ANNUAL, #6"


NOT WORTH CONSUMING

To have an opportunistic Kryptonian come to earth during the American Revolution and fight on the side of the British is near blasphemy! I don’t care how much an Elseworld this may be- the universe has constants and I think an American loving Superman is one of them. (Feeling this strongly does not bode well when I read Superman: Red Son in the future).

 Yes, having a “Superman” on the side of the British is a unique concept, but the Continental Congress just didn’t have a chance. Instead of Superman defeating America and thus becoming King of the British Empire of Earth, I would rather seen Superman win over the Brits and then become a power hungry king of America. I think the irony would have worked quite well.

But having an “evil” Superman isn’t the only thing about this issue I hate. I refuse to believe that if Britain won the Revolution, all progress in science, technology, and dress would have become stagnant as portrayed in this story. Also, there’s no Lex Luthor in this story. There should have been a real patriotic Lex to contrast the Imperialism of Superman.

Sadly, on many levels, this issue missed some golden opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment