Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Marvel Holiday Special 2011

Not the best effort by Marvel.

The first story is supposed to be a Spider-Man tale, but he’s merely a bit player in the story and has no lines. The main character is a female villain that I’ve never encountered and it made the story a little hard to follow; much less care for.

The next tale involves Wolverine and his merry bunch of students at Jean Grey School for Gifted Mutants. It’s a lighthearted tale where Wolverine teaches leadership by hosting a hockey game. Not much holiday here, but it’s a fun story.

The third tale has the real Nick Fury invading a Hydra base on Christmas Eve. The art is fantastic and I hope one day Marvel will issue a follow up, because I really want to know what happens next.

Lastly, is a Hanukkah tale starring The Thing and every Jewish super hero in the Marvel U.
I didn’t know there were that many. I actually felt a little bad for the bad guy in this tale because he was just trying to help out some needy kids. Thankfully, he was invited to Chinese food with the rest of the Jewish characters at the end of that tale. I would have be sad if they didn’t.

Again, okay tales. I’m not really a current Marvel guy, so I probably missed lots of little details, in-jokes, etc. I mean, I didn’t know who the villain was in story 1, didn’t I? Marvel went the way of DC and Scrooged us with no holiday special this year. Hopefully, that’ll

change real soon.

Rating: 5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment