Sunday, September 6, 2015

Black Science Volume 1: How to Fall Forever


   Black Science (2013-Present) #TP Vol 1

  This volume marks my final selection of science-themed graphic novels that I got recently at my local library when I was on a huge sci-fi kick. Black Science is a lot like the 90s Fox show Sliders, in which a group of scientists created a portal to parallel earths. Only something or someone caused the machine to go wonky and now until they can repair the portal, the scientists, their annoying lab liaison, and a couple of kids who are visiting their dad's lab find themselves jumping from parallel earth to parallel earth when the device infrequently repowers itself. God help them if they arrive on a hostile planet with 24-hours to kill before their next transition.

    Out of all of the sci-fi themed books I checked out, this was my favorite. I'm not sure why. The story, like I said, borrows heavily on the plot of Sliders. But I liked that show and this book is what could've happened if Sliders aired on HBO instead of Fox. There's sex, gore, violence, action, and a heck of a lot of plot twists and turns as the team encounters leapers from parallel earths. Plus, just who is behind the sabotage of the interdimensional portal?

    One thing I see as a potential problem for this book is that characters die about as frequently as people named 'Stark' or 'Snow' on Game of Thrones. Something's going to have to happen soon to rectify this or there won't be any characters left. But, it's that 'no one is safe' mentality that put me at the edge of my seat and running to my local library the next day to check out volume 2. Sadly, someone beat me to it...

    A great offering by Rick Remender (Age of Heroes), whose writing gives this book a modern feel, mixed  with the fantastic 50s Weird Science vibe that comes from the art by Dean White (Hulk) and Matteo Scalera (Deadpool Team-Up.

    Worth Consuming

    Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment