Saturday, September 5, 2015

All-New X-Men Volume 5:One Down (Marvel NOW!)


   Fresh from their adventure in outer-space, the original X-Men find themselves the target of a new kind of enemy with very familiar faces. These villains are the twin sons of Professor X-Men and Mystique, along with an alternate reality version of the Beast, Deadpool, and other mutants. Operating under the name of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, this team from the future seeks to do what Magneto could never do: destroy the X-Men.

    The X-Men seem to know these guys, but they are new to me. I had mentioned that the All-New (and yet at the same time original) X-Men had just returned from space. Those adventures have the team pairing with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Instead of comprising the fifth volume of this series of trades, the geniuses at Marvel decided to repackage that epic team-up as 'Guardians of the Galaxy/ All-New X-Men: The Trial of Jean Grey' and I have a sneaking suspicion that this is where the future incarnation of the Brotherhood make their first appearance.

    At this time, I've yet to get my hands on the Guardian/ X-Men team-up. I've been waiting for my local library to pick it up since they carry both Marvel Now! series on which the issues of the 'Trial of Jean Grey' were published. I'm starting to lose faith that my branch ever will pick it up. So, I'm going to have to add it to my wish list.

   Bendis continues to do a fantastic job with this team of mutants. The artwork by Immonen and Marquez is still just as awesome as before. But since so much seems to have happened in the 'Trial of Jean Grey' including Jean developing new powers and Kitty Pryde and Star Lord becoming an item, I feel like I missed out on something important. Thus, I just didn't connect so much with this book as other collections past.

  Sorry BMB...

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment