Monday, September 14, 2015

The Pulse #6


Pulse (2004-2006) #6

   A mutant with the powers to detonate blows herself up in Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's apartment. Cage shield's Jessica from the apparent suicide bomber. But the lover's heroic actions result in Power Man being badly injured. Now in a coma, with his life hanging in the balance, Jessica will use her resources with the Daily Bugle to get to the bottom of her beloved's near fatal encounter.

    Thus begins a multi-issue tie-in to Marvel's Secret War. Not Secret Wars or even Secret Wars II, both of which starred the mysterious Beyonder. I'm not even familiar with Secret War. So, I had to do a little research because I even got this storyline confused with Civil War- that's how out of the loop I am with this.

    Sometime prior, Nick Fury recruited Captain America, Wolverine, Luke Cage, and others to conduct a clandestine operation on Latveria. Well, the high ups of SHIELD weren't too happy about that and they will do any and everything in their power to ensure that those heroes who participated in the mission don't live to see another day.

    I wish I had read this backstory prior to having reading this issue. But, that's how it goes sometimes. Sadly, I just didn't enjoy this issue. 

    I love the Marvel stories that involve SHIELD and espionage. Nick Fury is freakin' awesome. And if you know me at all, then you'll know that Cap is my all-time favorite superhero!!! So, on paper, I should love Secret War. (It's now on my radar and wish list.)

   But what to rate this issue? It wouldn't be fair to say that it's a stinker. But I just didn't enjoy this story. But I think now that I have a little bit of back story and no longer am confusing this story line with Civil War, I will probably enjoy the rest of the Secret War tie-in issues of this series better.

   So out of all fairness, I will rate this right down the middle. If you've read Secret War, you might like this one.  So please, don't let this rating detract you from enjoying this issue.

    Rating: 5 out of 10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment