Friday, October 2, 2015

Banned Books Week, 2015: The Suggested Reading List Problem (A Family Comic Friday Essay)






  To close out my week long support of Banned Books week, I wanted to discuss school assigned readings. I thought to save this topic until my weekly Family Comic Friday article would be the proper time to tackle this subject. Especially, since suggested reading lists have become a tricky thing to navigate in this hypersensitive era of mass and social media.

    While I have over a decade's worth of experience as an educator and working with children, I'm not an expert. I am what you would call a comics expert and I've helped families and kids get linked up to age- appropriate readings. That said I think I can clear up one thing that stands in the way of censorship: parental control or guidance is not censorship!

   Every parent has the right to decide what if right and what is wrong for their children and every family is different. My dad's mother would let me help her in the kitchen from age 6. My mom's mom would only let me help pick berries and vegetables in the garden. Neither grandparent was wrong in their beliefs. It's just that in my Grandmama's family, everybody helped cook when she was a girl but in my Grandmother's family, kids were expected to either do chores or play- cooking was an adult activity only.

   The same goes for families today. I know a family with twin girls. Sister A is very girly, wears dresses, likes jewelry and make-up, and is very sensitive. Her sister, Sister B,  is rough and tumble, will go out there and play tackle football with her older brothers, likes to dress in jeans and a t-shirt, enjoys Harry Potter and such. The parents have told me that while the girls are the same age, certain movies and books are too intense for Sister A while some things are just too immature for Sister B to enjoy.  So what's to say that when you put 30 kids in a classroom of the same grade that they are all going to be at the same maturity to read or watch certain things? If a pair of twin identical sisters can be so very far apart, how do you expect 30 different kids from different walks of life to be able to understand the same concepts?

    Just a couple of months ago, several incoming freshmen at Duke University were required to read a graphic novel. The book was called 'Fun Home' a biographical account of writer and artist Alison Bechel's childhood and decision to come out as gay to her family. The book has some sexually graphic moments, depicts homosexuality, and has R-rated language. Some Christian students decided that this book was considered immoral to them and they refused to read it.

    Now, I've never read 'Fun Home' but even before the Duke students' revolt, I had been aware of this book and even thumbed through it once at a book sale. Definitely not a children's book but I could see it possibly being an insightful book for teens that are questioning their sexuality or those that have friends who are LGBT. After examining the book myself, I found that it wasn't my cup of tea. Plus, since I'm stingy with my money, I figured I would wait for this to pop up at my local library and give it a read then.

   See, I made a valid decision on weither to buy the book or not and I gave an open and honest opinion on what I thought of it. I didn't denounce anyone that read the book. I didn't warn you of the dangers of homosexuality. I wasn't negative. In fact, I would be open to reading (and review) 'Fun Home' if money wasn't an option or I could check it out for free.

     I decided to research some of the Duke students reactions to the reading assignment along with some experts opinion on the matter. Most of those who didn't want to read the book were very polite about it. They cited scripture, they didn't lambast anyone who wanted to read the book, and one gentleman ended up becoming friends with a bisexual student after expressing his beliefs. Sadly, several students, including the young man brave enough to befriend someone of a differing sexuality were brutally mocked for their bravery in standing up for their moral codes.

   One expert from the New York Times went on to extrapolate that the students refusing to read this graphic novel were sheltered children and thus unaware of the world around them. Overprotective parenting was blamed for their decisions to not read 'Fun Home.' Just a few days ago, I pointed out a stat that said that parents were the main objectors in cases of book banning. Sometimes the arguments for a ban are ridiculous while some are valid.  For example, if a teacher was to require students under the age of 18 to read and review Madonna's SEX, then I could support parents petitioning a school board to remove this exercise from the curriculum. (You might think I am joking about this type of example but my wife was once offered an extra credit assignment in high school to view and write a report of the film 'Caligula'- and we're talking about the X-rated version not the edited one.)

      I will defend a parent's right to decide what is right for their children to consume and what isn't. But, I think it is wrong for a parent to say ' If I won't let my kid read it and neither can yours." I spent my last 6-years of school attending private Christian schools and let me tell you if you want you child to live in a shell until they are 18, put them in one of those institutes. And if you want to shelter them another 4-years, pick a college like Pensacola Christian, where the sidewalks are painted pink for girls to walk on and blue for the boys. If you don't want you child to go to public school and be exposed to homosexuality, drugs, alternative religions, alcohol, and rock and roll and you think Christain schools are where to go. I am here to tell you the truth: you might want to home school.

    So what can a parent do if they think their child is being made to read or view something against their moral code? The best thing to do is to talk with the teacher or principle. Most cases of book banning involving parents start this route. But then the parent doesn't get their way and then it's taken to the school board where protests break out and it gets reported on the evening news.
"Santa is on the cover, so it must
be okay for my 1st grader to read!"

   I actually saw a very inventive way to prevent that from happening. Let's say you child comes home and must read 'The Adventures of  Huckleberry Finn.' The book is a classic, but it does contain scenes of child abuse, a runaway slave, and that N-word. So, let's say you think this book is inappropriate for your child and you do not want them to read it. A new idea that's gaining some momentum is for the parent and teacher to discuss this issue. But instead of banning the book, it is suggested that the parent read the book with their child and then research the author, their motives behind writing the novel,  and discuss with them just what is it that morally wrong in the book.

  Another option that is gaining in popularity amongst teachers is to do away with he suggested reading list altogether. That doesn't mean that the kids are off the hook and don't have to read anything during summer break. Instead, the kids are given a list of almost a hundred books that are considered age-appropriate and then told to read a certain number off the list and write a small report about them. Under this method, kids get to read what they like, parents have a more active role in the book selection process and school boards are not being swamped with as many requests to ban books.

    I hope this essay had done one thing: made you think. I tried to write this as I write my reviews for Family Comic Friday.When I review a book for parents I try to be neither biased or objective, just stating what the subject is about and offer my suggestion on what the proper age of reader would best be suited for the book baised on themes and content.

    I hate seeing parents at comic book shops wringing their hands over what to buy their child to read because the owner hasn't a clue what's inside them and cannot make good suggestions. Just because a 5-year-old kid likes superheroes and motorcycles, that doesn't mean he should be reading Lobo. And that's my goal here, if I can help 1 family be able to navigate the tricky road of suggested readings for school and prevent one more case of book banning, then I've eased a lot of heartache and I've done my job as a Madman with a book.

   Happy Reading!
   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment