Friday, October 16, 2015

Spook-A-Rama (Family Comic Friday Halloween ComicFest 2015 Edition)

   

Young Cory loves monsters. They were a bonding point with his late father who adored classic horror films. Desperate to keep the memory of his dad alive, Cory dresses up as creepy creatures and plays pranks on the local townsfolk.   
                         
     A friend of his mother's (the town vacuum salesman) has a plan to make a man out of the youngster by having him work in the company's mailroom. But when Cory meets up with his hero famed horror director, Wilbur Atchison, at his movie studio, the boy's world will be turned seriously upside down.

    This week, I choose to examine 'Spook-A-Rama' a free comic book offering at this year's Halloween ComicFest. Written by Philip Kim with art by Rick Koslowski, I had the chance to buy a pack of 25 of these to give away to trick-or-treaters this year. But I wasn't very sure about the content and I passed it up. So, I downloaded a preview of the comic online and from what I read, I am kicking myself for not grabbing this when I had the chance.

   The art was very good and the story, what little I saw was intriguing. The book is based on the classic horror magazine 'Famous Monsters.' I remember this publication as a kid and I thought it was great. It was filled with images of the classic Hollywood Universal monsters as well as fiends from Hammer, Toho, and other studios devoted to horror and sci-fi. If you were a kid who loved monster movies that weren't in the vein of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, then this magazine called out to you every trip you'd make to the 7-11.

   Parents, if you are anti-horror film, then this book wouldn't be ideal for your child. In fact, from what I read, this book is not all-ages. I would say that it's more suited for older trick-or-treaters; around 10 and up.

   Unfortunately, I can't give very much more background on this book, other than to make you aware of it. I've tried to do some further research on this book to see if it's a preview of a larger work or continuing series due to do be released at a later date. But I came up with nothing more than the mini-comic preview that I included a link to. (Even Amazon is noticeably quiet about this book!)

    I'm hoping to hit a comic book store on Halloween morning. If I do, I'm planning on snagging up a copy of this book. (It's good to have goals.) If I can obtain it, I'll give it a read and will include an update. Feel free to comment me with any further info about Spook-A-Rama you might come across as well. Happy Haunts- er I mean reading!

   Worth Consuming

   Rating of Preview pages: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment