Sunday, July 17, 2016

Scooby-Doo Team-Up #12

  I can't believe I bought into the hype...
 
   In the summer of 2015, the surprise hit of the year was Scooby-Doo Team-Up #12. I had already been a fan of this series since day one. Echoing the New Scooby-Doo Mysteries series from 1972, this series has the crew of Mystery Inc. solving mysteries with super-heroes and other cartoon legends. In terms of this issue's guest-star attraction, Harley Quinn, well my affection for her runs a lot deeper.
   In September of 1992 on Batman: The Animated Series, in an episode entitled 'Joker's Favor,' the Clown Prince of Crime got a girlfriend. Dressed as a Jester, Harley Quinn was supposed to be a thrown away one-time bit role. But she stole the hearts of millions that day including mine. 
   Over the years, my much littler sister became a fan of Batman and I would make her giggle doing Harley's voice in little bits with the Joker when we would play with her Batman action figures. But I think what cemented it for us was the epic battle between Harley and Lex Luthor's bodyguard, Mercy, during the premiere of the Batman/Superman Movie: World's Finest. Needless to say, when DC announced that this issue was coming out, I immediately put it on my wish list. What I didn't expect was for it to sell like hot cakes.
     I got lucky. My favorite comic book store is really a used book store, so it's often under the radar of but the most serious of collectors. But by the end of September 23, when this book dropped, stores nationwide were sold out and copies were being listed on Facebook and eBay for upwards of $30 a piece. 
    I apparently got into the fervor because I immediately bagged this issue and put it away in my collection without even doing the one thing I mean to do with it- READ IT! Then two nights ago as I was filing some comics, I came across this issue, realizing that I hadn't read it yet. So, was it worth the wait? Worth the fervor? Let's check out Scooby-Doo Team-Up #12.

    Scooby and the Gang are mysteriously summoned to the rooftops of Gotham. Thinking that Batman has secretly asked for their help on a case, the detectives agree only to be met by Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. Despite the Mystery Gang having foiled the Joker in the past, Harley and Ivy don't have any ill will towards those meddling kids. No, they want help being rid of a ghost who has cursed them after they stole an ancient Egyptian gemstone.
      The real thief in this adventure was the Joker's girlfriend because Harley Quinn stole the show. She had the best lines and the decision to have artist Dario Brizuela draw her in her original jester costume was the right choice. It was great to have the original Harley back even if for just 32 short little pages.
      Honestly, this issue could've managed with just Harley Quinn as the guest-star. Her BFF and roommate Poison Ivy wasn't even necessary. She had very few lines and she really doesn't move the story anywhere. But I have a feeling Ivy was added as this issue was a tribute to Harley's first appearance in comic form (Batman: TAS #12) and both villains were in that issue.
     Overall, this issue #12 wasn't bad. But the Scooby Gang were reduced to those same insipid gags that the cartoon is known for. In Scooby-Doo Team-Up, the team is much more wittier and smarter- even Shaggy has a little more brains and backbone in this series. So why were the so darn goofy in this story? Don't blame Harley for the ridiculousness- she was actually more sane than anyone in this uneven tale.
     There were some bright spots but the potential of this issue didn't match up with the insanity that surrounded this issue last summer...

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment