Saturday, August 6, 2016

Suicide Squad #1 (Free Comics Book Day 2016 Edition)

 Though the movie is getting slammed by critics, DC Comics has done everything right in marketing this film. From overtaking Hot Topic and Journeys clothing and accessories line to making Harley Quinn the flagship character of the franchise, DC hasn't disappointed me in their attempts to build excitement and garner new viewers for the villain-led film. This May, DC Comics officially kicked off the Suicide Squad fervor issuing a Free Comic Book Day giveaway. So it was an ideal read to get me even more excited for when I go see the movie tomorrow.
    Reprinting the first issue of the New 52 Suicide Squad from 2011-2014, this book kicks you in the teeth and then literally rubs salt in those wounds. In this issue, the squad has been captured and being tortured for information regarding their team's designation. As the interrogator makes his way from villain to villain, each member of the Suicide Squad reflects on the crimes that sent them to Belle Reve Prison. But how did they end up captives of the Scarecrow and can they free themselves before one of them breaks?
      Though DC will have cancelled this title and relaunch it twice prior to the release of the Suicide Squad film, I really am interested in reading this series. It was extremely compelling and there are some mysteries involving Harley Quinn and Deadshot that I really want to get to the bottom of. And that cliffhanger- holy cow! I must know what happened next! 
    Yes- I hate cliffhangers. Especially when I don't have the follow-up titles. But unless DC published an one-shot story with all new material, I doubt that any of Suicide Squad titles starring the villains appearing in the film were published without a cliffhanger.
    HEY!!! WHY DIDN'T DC MAKE THIS ISSUE WITH ALL NEW MATERIAL???
    Okay, I'm a little peeved. But regardless of my misgivings, writer Adam Glass wrote one heck of an opening chapter and the interior artwork of Federico Dallocchio was off the chain crazy good. Like I expect the film will be, this book was mega gritty, crazy violent, and had a bit of sex appeal. Not a book for kids. 

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment