Saturday, February 25, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 56

  On this date, Johnny Carson was named Harvard's Hasty Pudding Man of the Year. 


Carson accepting his award for a
"lasting and impressive contribution to the world of entertainment."

   For those of you not old enough, Johnny Carson was an institution. He made people laugh night after night on the Tonight Show for over 30 years. 

    If you ever get a chance to see an old episode of Carson's Comedy Classics, you really should. He was quite brilliant. 
Johnny, behind his trademark desk.


   My favorite sketches of his were when he played Carnac the Magnificent; a bumbling physic who was also a little bit naughty. 



    I remember watching Carson's last show. It was about as big of a deal as when Walter Cronkite signed off from hosting the CBS News. (Yes, I saw that too!) I even think my mom cried that night. By the time he left the air in the mid-90s he had become a part of the family for millions of households. We don't see that type of reverence anymore...

    Before I leave you, here's a clip of Carson as Carnac. I hope you get as many laughs out of it as I.


   Until Tomorrow... 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment