Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man

 
  The android hero the Vision constructs a robot family in order to better understand humanity. Taking a position as the Avengers' liaison to the President, Vision moves his cybernetic wife and children to Alexandria, Virginia. The Avengers enrolls his kids into a top-notch high school and helps his new bride find employment; all in hopes of discovering the American dream. But when a villain from his 'family's' past makes an unscheduled house warming visit, the Vision will learn that life in the suburbs is a complete nightmare.

     I had heard nothing but praise to this 2016 Tom King series. But finding it for cheap if even at all was harder than you might expect. Most comic shops in my area where either sold out or selling the first issue for some crazy prices. I wasn't about to shell out $15-30 bucks for it. So I waited. Wouldn't you know when I finally find the first issue for cheap, I also find this volume for free at my local library!

     This book is creepy. There's something serious wrong with the Vision's wife, Virginia. Plus, the whole dynamic of an android family trying to fit into modern day life is pretty awkward. Don't get me wrong- I liked this book. It's just really eerie- like Stepford Wives eerie. 

     One problem I have with this book is the Vision's desire to understand what human life in suburbia is all about. Wasn't that the premise of the Vision/ Scarlet Witch miniseries in the 80s? Or is that more of an allegory about mixed marriage? 

      Regardless, I feel like the Vision trying to create life in order to better understand his surroundings has been done to death. Ultron created Vision. So technically, that's different. Yet, I tend to lump that whole dynamic in together. That's why I feel like I have a little fatigue when if comes to this type of storyline from the House of Ideas.

     There's at least one more volume to this series. I managed to get my grubby little hands on it the other day and can't wait to read it. The story is really quite enjoyable. I just feel that the plot has been worn out so much that tiny little holes are starting to appear.
  
   Worth Consuming!

     Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment