Friday, October 27, 2017

Scary Tales #11

When is a scary book not scary? Apparently when it's Scary Tales #11.

The book features 3 tales about creatures that according to the issue's themem, are ones that people would consider as pets. The first piece is about a couple on a trek to capture a unicorn. The cover basically gives away that story's twist ending. While I guess you could consider a unicorn a pet, there's really nothing terrifying about this story so much as it's fanciful. Illustrated by the great Steve Ditko (Amazing Spider-Man), it's really not one of the master's best works.

I really enjoyed the second adventure. It's about a circus owner who tracks down a kind of Bigfoot creature. I almost from the beginning knew how this one was going to end. But the shear shock and terror of the owner was great! The whole concept of a pet was stretched quite a bit and I did not find this story scary in the least. But the narrative was of EC Comics' level quality, it's that well done.

The last piece is about a vampiress with an enchanted whip. She's so alluring, a talent scout brings her to New York City to put on a captivating show. I couldn't tell if the main character was supposed to be the hostess of this title. They were both dressed alike and looked similar. But I am not really that familiar with this Charlton horror comic as much as I am with some of their other books like Ghostly Tales or The Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves. So I am not really sure. But I don't categorize a female vampire as a pet and this yarn was too avant garde to really understand, much less be scared by. 

I wasn't too impressed with this issue. From the really corny cover, I shouldn't be surprised. I really have a hard time finding a bad silver age horror comic. I did today and I was really stunned by it. Especially for something containing works of a legend like Ditko.

Not Worth Consuming!

Rating: 3 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment