Thursday, October 5, 2017

A Madman's Halloween 2017 Reading List... (Part 2)

Halloween is soon to be here. In order to get into the holiday spirits, er spirit, I selected a number of Halloween and horror themed comics from my vast collection.

In part one, I examined the more kid friendly comics available to put the fun in funeral. Okay, I'm not the Crypt Keeper, but I'm really trying folks. Anyways, part two looks at the more adult and classic horror titles that I plan to read over the next several weeks. Hopefully, these selections will inspire you to develop a Halloween reading list. So let's begin, shall we?

Modern Scares

The following are some selections from the past 30 years. They may not be classics, but they show promise to set an eerie tone to a cold October night...

Batman: Masque

This graphic novel is an Elseworlds. The premise is what is Bruce Wayne was the Phantom of the Opera. I hope there's no singing as I hate singing in comics. I never know the tune...

The Phantom of Fear City #10

Do I know how to segue or not? I have no idea if this book is scary. But I got it in a grab bag and since it's by Captain America legend Steve Englehart, I thought I would give it a try. By the long now defunct Claypool Comics, their website still stands like an abandoned cyber ghost town...

The Troll Halloween Special

I really don't know much about this shorter, grumpier version of Wolverine from Image. But I read the Troll Christmas Special a while back and it was really funny. So when I found this at a con, I just had to have it. Plus, it has a Maxx story and I really dug that mind-bending cartoon series when it was on MTV in the 90s.

Weird War Tales Special (Vertigo 2000)

There were two series that my dad would regularly read as an adult. Sgt. Rock and Weird War Tales. I'm more of a Howlin' Commandos kinda guy but I love Weird War Tales. I know I should have picked a classic story. But I just finished reading a large collection of those (Showcase Presents Weird War Tales Volume 1), so I went for the modern take.

Tomb of Dracula Presents: Throne of Blood

Another classic horror title that got a modern make-over. This 2011 one-shot from Marvel promises to integrate the Dracula mythos with feudal Japan. I'm not sure how they're going to do that. But hey, it was only a buck when I got it!

Classic Horror Titles

For my final selection of spooky reads, I'm going to look at some of the all-time greats known and beloved to horror comic fans nationwide.

The Twilight Zone #47 (Gold Key)

Rod Serling's spooky anthology series is not only perfect for a good scare, but it was gosh darn good TV. Gold Key held the rights for decades after the show was cancelled, publishing an anthology series that included some of the earliest works by Bernie Wrightson and Neal Adams. If you don't mind condition, tons of these issues can be found in bargain bins at cons and your favorite LCS.

The Demon #2 (1972-74)

Since we celebrated the 100th birthday of Jack Kirby this year, I thought it would be appropriate to read an issue from The King's horror title from his days at DC. The Demon in my opinion one of the most visually appealing characters Kirby ever designed in terms of colors and how the character just looks some much more menacing when drawn in the King's blocky style. Fun Fact- Kirby's Demon didn't start rhyming all of his lines until years later when Len Wein used the character in a Superman team-up story.

Scary Tales #11

For some, the horror titles of Charlton Comics are amongst some of the best of the 70s and 80s. By far, horror titles are what kept Charlton in business for as long as they did considering how DC and Marvel were slaughtering them in the superhero genre. Featuring the work of greats like Steve Ditko, Joe Staton, and Dick Giordano, I had to include one of these books here, especially as a Charlton horror book was the first comic I ever bought.

Crypt of Shadows #10

This short lived horror anthology isn't one of Marvel's most reknown compared to titles like Where Monsters Dwell. But the series has a sizable cult following on Facebook groups devoted to classic horror comics.

Adventures of Bob Hope #87

The classic Hollywood comedian isn't really known for horror. That's more suited for Jerry Lewis or Abbott & Costello. But when I saw this cover, I just had to have it. 1) It's a classic DC title and 2) it looked like it would be a fun Halloween read. Plus, the doggie just seemed so darn cute.

The House of Mystery #250

The creme de la creme of the DC horror anthologies. It's host Cain is considered one of the all-time great horror hosts. The series was so popular and so beloved by fans and artists alike that in 2008, Vertigo not only revived the title but managed to add Cain back into the mix as well.

The Vault of Horror #14

Last but not least, it wouldn't be a Halloween comic book reading list if I didn't included an EC Comic. The brain child of William Gaines, EC's titles were the catalyst behind the comics scare of the 1950s. As a result, the industry created the Comics Code Authority and for almost 20 years, horror comics were virtually non-existent. Because of the acclaimed HBO series, most people tend to favor Tales from the Crypt. But my favorite of the EC horror books is Vault of Horror.


...And that's my reading list for Halloween 2017.

Over the month of October, check out my personal blog Madman With a Book where I will be posting my reviews of these books as well as many other titles.

I hope this list will inspire you to seek out some comic and graphic novel frights in time for Halloween. If you have any suggestions of you own for what makes the perfect Halloween reading list, please post theme in the comments section below...


No comments:

Post a Comment