Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The Demon #2


With it being the 100th birthday of Jack Kirby, I thought it would be more than appropriate to read an issue from Kirby's horror title the Demon from his 1970s stint at DC.

The Demon's human host Jason Blood is in a fictitious European town in search of Merlin's tomb. But the sinister forces of Morgan Le Fey have beaten Etrigan to it. Now Blood must race to a secret coven spot in order to prevent a literal hell on earth.

When it comes to the art style of this comic- it's A-1, top notch stuff. Etrigan is probably my favorite visually appealing character that Kirby has ever done. The character might even be my favorite of all-time.  

But when it comes to the story- it's not really my favorite. Maybe it's because I only had issue #2 in my collection. Perhaps I needed issue #1 to better understand just where Jason Blood went. And what's the deal with the trio of oddballs that have taken residence inside his apartment back in Gotham City? 

It could very well be that I'm just not a fan of this series period. I never really been a fan of Kirby's Jimmy Olsen stuff. I adore Kirby's Fourth World material. So who knows?!

A creepy Kirby offering that just might not be my cup of tea...

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment