Friday, July 5, 2019

Beanworld Omnibus Volume 2 (Family Comic Friday)

For this week’s Family Comic Friday, we venture to a wondrous land of unusual creatures and even more bizarre activities. Welcome to Beanworld. It’s an all-ages title that might not be everyone’s cup of tea. Love it or hate it; Beanworld is definitely a title that you’ll never forget!

Beanworld Omnibus Volume 2Written and Illustrated by Larry Marder
Published by Dark Horse Comics
Pages: 448
Retail: $24.99

Larry Marder’s Beanworld has been a favorite of comic book readers young and old for nearly 35-years. It’s the story of the Beans, a tiny tribe of artists, musicians and heroic soldiers who hunt for food for the rest of the tribe. The Beans are supposed to be the hero of the story as they must steal from the Hoi-Polloi Ring Herd; a group of gamblers who use the Beans’ food for bargaining chips. But as I see the pain and fear that the Beans bring to the Hoi-Polloi during these food runs, I think that the Beans are more bullies than braves!

This wasn’t the only part of the Beanworld story that I had issue with. A large portion of this story is flat out confusing. Thankfully, this omnibus contains a Who’s Who list of characters and terms as well as a map of Beanworld. It’s quite handy when the characters constantly speak in both riddle and tons of made-up jargon.

I also feel that this book just keeps going around in circles. On day one, it’s determined that conditions are right to go on a hunt. Then on day two, it’s play time. This continues for over 200 pages with slight interludes that also seem repetitive. This volume is 448 pages long. But I’m sorry folks, after 250 pages, I couldn’t that the monotony anymore. I also couldn’t take the headache of it all.

Storyline issues aside, Beanworld is visually stunning. In it’s black and white and the inks are super clean. I liked the art very much. I just couldn’t take the entire snake eating its tail-like plot for so long.

One thing I cannot complain about this book is it’s retail price. $24.99 for almost 450 pages?! That’s an amazing deal. 

Another aspect I appreciated was that despite being the second Beanworld omnibus, you don’t have to have read volume 1 first! Some of that is because of all the glossary additions at the beginning of the edition. But some is thanks in very large part to Marder devoting the first 30 or so pages of the first story to a full introduction of the Beanworld cast. 

Folks, I’m going to be honest here. Just because I had issues with the book, you and the young reader in your life might just fall in love with Beanworld! Art is subjective. I’m giving my opinion on a work of art. It’s up to you to decide if you follow my advice or not. Most times, I employ you to listen to me. But since there are aspects of folklore, world mythology and abstract thought that I am not really all that familiar with, I am going to suggest that you take my review with a grain of salt. I very well just might not have gotten the whole concept behind Beanworld. But that doesn’t mean your family won’t get it.

And if you do, feel free to drop me a line in the comment section explaining just what it is I missed!

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

Beanworld Omnibus Volume 2 debuts in print and digital formats on July 16, 2019.

Beanworld Omnibus Volume 2 collects Beanworld Volumes 3, 3.5 (Tales of the Beanworld in black and white), and 4, with a bonus sketchbook section.

This review was concurrently published on Outrightgeekery.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment