Sunday, July 14, 2019

Spider-Man Annual Presents: Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider-Ham #1

Peter Porker is back! After stealing all the scenes of last year's Into The Spiderverse, the Spectacular Spider-Ham returns to print! 

An Inter-dimensional mishap on earth-616 involving the Ringmaster has resulted in a host of Peter's enemies to take refuge throughout the multiverse. With the help of Spider-Guin, Spider-Ham must gather his foes who are going on crime sprees on new and very different earths.

I know that this was a one-shot story. But it set things up for a potential new Spider-Ham series; which is something I very much would like. Black Cloud's Jason Latour penned a good story. But it was the artwork of All-New Doop's David LaFuente that really won me over.

There was a second story in this annual. But other than some very clever modern Marvel parodies of more recent heroes and villains turned into animals, I could have done without this yarn. In the middle of yet another universe rebooting crisis, Spider-Ham and Howard the Duck sneak into a bar and share a drink while pining philosophical over the Buddhist-like reincarnation sure to happen with the Marvel Universe. It read like a Grant Morrison story. That would okay if only I wanted to purchase and read a Grant Morrison story. But I only wanted a soft-hearted funny animal parody!!!

This book was available with several amazing covers. But the cover I choose was a no-brainer. I went with the wonderful 'Spiderverse' version crafted by John Tyler Christopher. It was just so classic. 

I loved the first act. I rather had an extra 6-8 pages added to it instead of that mind-boggling of a downer second tale. I really do hope that Marvel brings back Spider-Ham in an all-new title. Just please don't make it in the style of that last piece. Cause I will not buy it if you (Marvel) do!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment