Saturday, July 20, 2019

Dark Nights: Metal- Dark Knights Rising


This Dark Nights collection reprints the seven one-shots devoted the most evil Dark
Knights of the Dark Multiverse. 


This book read like a library of Elseworlds stories. Yes, I know that these origin stories
are canon. But they have that imaginary 'what if' kind of feel to them that I love so
much when reading those Elseworlds classics.


The most surprising element to this volume is the level of violence. Some of your most
favorite superheroes are taken down by an evil version of the Batman in gruesome
fashion. It's almost like Robert Kirkman took a break from The Walking Dead to pencil
these ghoulish adventures. 

While Kirkman didn't have a hand at these amazing tales, a number of DC talents did.
Scott Snyder, Peter J. Tomasi, Joshua Williamson, and James Tynion IV are just a
few of the many, and I do mean many, artists and writers who contributed. They all
did a fantastic job. Almost.

Along with the seven one-shot origin tales, there was also a one-shot that focused
on Detective Chimp and the efforts of a number of scientists on Blackhawk Island
to combat this coming Dark Multiverse crisis. I literally remember zero of what these
guys contributed to Metal. Perhaps it's time to re-read it. I was so lost reading Dark
Nights: Metal because I hadn't read all of the prelude material. But I've just completed
all of that by finishing this volume. So I guess I am doing something that I rarely ever
do and giving something I've already completed a second read.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment