Monday, January 13, 2020

Classic Star Wars: The Early Adventures

A few years ago, I read the complete Al Williamson run on the Star Wars comic strip. In all three volumes, called Classic Star Wars, there were forewords in each that proclaimed that while the Williamson stories are good, the Russ Manning era of the strips were far superior. Being a huge Star Wars lover, I had to know what the fuss was all about. So Classic Star Wars: The Early Adventures was quickly added to my wish list.

After months and months of searching, I finally found a copy of this book which I could afford. Some sites had this book listing for upwards of $80 as this Dark Horse edition was out of print. And don't even ask about the 9 individual issues. I never could find a web site or LCS that carried these in the bins. 

Anyways, after finding this book, I immediately took to reading it. It's a mix of several stories that continue the struggle between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire. As per George Lucas' instructions, Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader cross paths but never officially face-off. This makes for a number of stories that contain close calls and non-canon baddies. 

The most memorable of these is a holographic agent of evil code-named Blackhole. It appears that this villain is going to be the main villain in the strip. But after the third story run is complete, he disappears- literally. He's never seen nor mentioned again. 

Also never mentioned again is a massive Rebel database named Mistress Mnemos, who promises to investigate Blackhole and just doesn't seem to get around to it. 

There's also this lizard Imperial officer referred to as Major Rahz. He's really awesome looking but quite unusual for Star Wars. Remember, the Empire wasn't known to be very accommodating to non-humans. Other than this guy, I think Admiral Thrawn is the only true alien species member to hold rank in the Empire. While very non-canon, I did think this dude was pretty cool!

One neat storyline reveals how the Rebels were able to purchase and maintain a fleet in the shadow of the Empire. This had always been a question to me. And while I am sure that the reveal has been retconned time and time again, the answer I found in this book was forever acceptable. 

The main reason anybody would want to own this book is that it contains one of the earliest appearances of Boba Fett! He crosses paths with Luke and Han; hinting at what trouble he'll be giving the Rebels in the Empire Strikes Back. I'm very interested to see if funny pages containing any of the strips from this story are considered highly sought after collectibles from fans of those who wear Mandalorian armor. 

I really can see where people would enjoy the Russ Manning stories. But are they superior to Al Williamson's run? Not in the least! Manning's artwork was quite cartoonish. It very fluid and fanciful. But it doesn't come close to Williamson's photo-realistic art that I remember enjoying every Sunday at my Grandmama's house. 

I think the reason Russ Manning gets so much love is that the artist was in the final stages of cancer when he accepted this project. I've heard that superstar talent such as Archie Goodwin filled in for Manning during some periods of time from 1979-80. You even get a sneak peak at what Al Williamson will be bringing to the series in the Boba Fett segment! 

These artists were true heroes as the kept Manning's name on the artwork so that he could keep his health insurance, even though Manning never even touched the storyboards. Being that Star Wars was Manning's last project, I am okay with the comics legend getting as much love as he did. But I still prefer Williamson's work on the Star Wars comic strip.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment