Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Har-Har Comics #1

Prior to reading this book. I knew nothing about Har-Har Comics. Nothing! I did not even know that such a book existed. But I found it at a used book store for 20 cents plus the protective bag! So this unknown comic was a low-risk purchase for me. 

I'm happy to say that it was worth every cent I paid!

Har-Har Comics debuted in 1990. Published by Fantagraphics, this comic is all about funny animals. That was Fantagraphics' bread-and-butter. The company that brought you Critters and Usagi Yojimbo, as well as human based titles such as Love and Rockets, Fantagraphics has survived unto this day. In an era where Indy publishers are a dime a dozen and unlikely to survive until their 5th birthday, for Fantagraphics to have existed since 1976 is an impressive feat.

This comic book is all about the laughs. The main character is known as Hyper Al. He's a dog or wolf that gets into some odd situations including getting abducted by aliens and tested to become a knight in King Arthur's Court. I laughed several times at his tales. he's drawn more like you'd expect an old 1940s cartoon villain would look. yet, Hyper Al is all sweet and innocent.

The other main feature of this issue is a story that ponders the question 'What if regular pets were "anthropomorphic?' It follows a giant dog name Huck and his hapless owner as they go for a walk through town. When Huck gets loose from his lease and meets the new female in the neighborhood..., well, let's just say that love is in the air. 

I would love to find myself another issue. I'm actually in luck. Fantagraphics' did give this series by Captain Jack's Mike Kazaleh a second issue. But that was it. Considering that the 90s was known for it's gritty comics, a cute book like this getting a second try is an impressive feat in it's own.

I guess the big question is now- will I ever find Har-Har Comics #2? Tune in regularly to my blog and see...

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars,



No comments:

Post a Comment