Monday, March 2, 2020

Scooby-Doo Team-Up #16

With only two issues left to collect my run of Scooby-Doo Team-Up, I really thought that this would be the last issue I'd locate. The resurgence in popularity and interest in Shazam and his Marvel family has made the prices of key issues of other titles on my wish list, jump sky high. But, being the bargain bin hunter that I am, my perseverance paid off at a used book store!

This was one of the best issues in the entire series. Sholly Fisch is the writer and he's been almost perfect when it comes to the issues that have Scooby teaming up with the DCU characters. Dario Brizuela adds his patented touch to the artwork. His characters remind me so much of the old Alex Toth inspired Super Friends cartoons. The only problem with this book is that there's very little of Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel or Captain Marvel Jr to be found in this book!

The Mystery Inc. detectives are called to find the Marvel Family when they are kidnapped by Mister Mind and his Monster Society of Evil. There's plenty of Shazam villains in this book including IBAC and those crocodile people. (Yes, I was right that they were really characters from the old Fawcett Comics based on their cameo in last year's awesome live action flick!) Just as there's very little of the Big Red Cheese, don't expect to see very much of Dr. Sivana and his family here either.

I loved the twists in this book. I thought that while it's occurrence was a tiny bit predictable, this issue stayed away from a lot of the worn old cliches that pepper the Hanna-Barbera crossovers. Still, I felt that for an issue supposedly starring Captain Marvel, there's very, very little of him to be found in this issue. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment