Monday, March 9, 2020

Simpsons Comics Royale

When I am feeling bogged down by the weight of the world, I turn to humor. Harley Quinn. The Tick. Deadpool. Their insanity helps make my life more sane. And then there's The Simpsons. Sometimes you need the bizarre philosophies of Homer and Bart to help make sense of things. 

This is an unusual collection of Simpsons Comics. It's not a reprint of full issues. Instead, it's a mix of never-before-reprinted tales and all-new comic book material. In this volume we've got a Lisa story of Wonderland proportions, Krusty takes an entourage to Hollywood, and Radioactive Man learns just what happens when you flush the toilet in a state of the art porta-potty.

Sprinkled throughout this edition are a number of essays by Simpsons creator Matt Groening. His advice to those wanting to be cartoonists should be required reading for all first year art students. His reflections on his early life shows the origins of many of the icons of Springfield. But his dictionary of favorite slang words was 4 pages of wasted space. So was his 2-pager about his first bully. I would have rather had more advice or inside scoops on the history of the TV show. If anything, I now want to read some of Groening's first comic strip, Life in Hell. 

Considering that that series started in 1977, my birth year and FAVORITE year, how did I miss this!!!

I wasn't huge on the Lisa story which was surprising since I am a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland. Like I said, some of the essays were lame. So was that Sideshow Mel multi-parter! Plus, not being a direct reprint of the comics themselves and the very unusual pacing of all those verbose interludes made for an odd pacing. 

Yes, this took away a lot of stress from a world full of coronavirus and done to death primaries. But it just wasn't my favorite of Simpsons books either.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment