Sunday, September 13, 2020

Blue Devil Special Insert from the pages of Fury of Firestorm #24


I've taken a brief break from Blue Devil to review some past history.

In the pages of Blue Devil #7, The Trickster, James Jesse, mentions having dealt with Blue Devil in the past. Once again, I made a common mistake. As a kid, I always thought that the first issue of a super heroes titled series was the first appearance. But that almost always isn't the case. With regards to Blue Devil, he first appeared in a special insert in the pages of Fury of Firestorm #24.

In this introductory story, Dan Cassidy has yet to meet with the demon Nebiros. A master special effects wizard, Dan is in the process of building the Blue Devil suit in which he will become permanently attached to. While giving the state of the art costume a test run, Dan runs afoul of Jesse who is in the middle of a huge heist. The result is a comedy of errors with the cast and crew of the Blue Devil film who have become an integral part of the Blue Devil series. 

I am kinda glad that I didn't read this first. This has all the markings of a typical 1980s first appearance issue. The rough introductions. Those corny jokes. But it also makes sense why Blue Devil #1 didn't feel like a first appearance issue. 

One thing not typical of this 'first issue' is the art. It's a thing of beauty by the great Paris Cullins. 

As for the main story of Fury of Firestorm, I didn't read it. I have the entire series and so I plan on reading it. Someday.

Special Insert Rating: 6 out of 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment