Friday, January 21, 2022

Zatanna and the House of Secrets (Family Comic Friday)

Sorry to not do a Family Comic Friday last week. I had a bout with a nasty chest virus. Thankfully, it wasn't COVID. But due to waiting on COVID results and other tests, I had to quarantine. So I couldn't head to my library for some new all-ages stuff. But my hiatus is over and it's time to dive back into my weekly look at comic book and graphic novel reads for families to enjoy!

Zatanna and the House of Secrets is a recent offering that I've been waiting a very long time to get my hands on. I have always been a fan of DC's horror anthologies; cutting my teeth on them at a very young age. Thus, I was really excited to see how young adult novelist Matthew Cody (Cat Ninja) tackled the House of Secrets and it's long rich history. 

Zatanna lives in the House of Secrets with her father, Zatara. Zatara is a magician stuck to hosting magic shows at retirement communities. Secretly, Zatara is the caretaker of the House of Secrets. But Zatanna is blissfully unaware of this; as well as dad's real magic abilities. This is until one night, when Zatanna's father appears with a black eye and strict to not let his stage assistant, Pocus the rabbit out of her sight. 

Living in a bizarre run-down looking house with an off-beat dad, Zatanna is desperate to fit in with her school friends. With Pocus in her backpack, the girl sneaks out of the House of Secrets to a Halloween party thrown by the coolest kids at school. Things seem fine until a strange looking boy with blue skin attempts to steal Pocus and makes off with the key charm fastened around the bunny's collar.

A little unraveled from the incident, Zatanna hurries home. But now, her house is transformed into a menagerie of magical oddities. And a mysterious woman who holds Pocus' key charm and now claims to be the new owner of the House of Secrets. 

I really enjoyed this book. It told a very imaginative story set within the DC Universe. It had lots of nostalgic Easter eggs. But it also managed to seem fresh and brand new too! 

I do feel like the editors or just the book designer ruined a couple of surprises. I had an inkling of the addition of one classic DC magical character thanks to the cover. But a couple of the establishing pages seemed to ruin the overall surprise. Why do companies feel the need to ruin everything in a commercial of teaser?

I really like the artwork of illustrator Yoshi Yoshitani (I Am Not Starfire). It's got a traditional Japanese quality mixed with hints of Las Vegas and fairytale. It was a very nice fit for this enchanted graphic novel. 

Zatanna and the House of Secrets is recommended for ages 8-12 and I think that's appropriate. There's nothing scary. A couple of ultra-thrilling scenes. And a few laughs peppered in. 

I'm hoping there's more to Zatanna's story. There's more than one House and there were more than one horror anthology. So maybe a Zatanna and the House of Mystery is coming up. I would really like that and I think young readers would too!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment