Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Scooby Apocalypse and Hanna-Barbera Preview Edition #1

From 2016, this preview book gives glimpses into 4 of DC's Hanna-Barbera reboot titles. Readers get a look at the Mystery Inc. gang taking on the hordes of zombie undeed in Scooby Apocalypse. Mark Russell's modern retelling of the greatest stone age family of them all, The Flintstones, are examined as is a Mad Max take on Wacky Races in Wacky Raceland. Finally, the epic team-up of nearly a dozen of Hanna-Barbera's more dramatic properties in the Jeff Parker/Evan 'Doc' Shaner venture Future Quest.

I had already read the entire run of the rebooted Flintstones run that took an innocent family from the time of dinosaurs and gave them 21st century problems such as PTSD and gender equality. It wasn't a bad read. But it lacked the humor and heart of the original 1960s series. 

I don't think I like my Scooby-Doo to be so gosh darn violent. If you took the original gang with their yuks and silly montages of being chased through a haunted house and placed it all in the middle of The Walking Dead, I would be okay with it. But again, this book is missing the retro humor which makes reading Scooby-Doo comics a guilty pleasure for me.

Wacky Raceland looks fun. Maybe it's because I don't have cemented fond memories of that series like I do with the Flintstones and Scooby-Doo. Or maybe it's a cartoon show that was destined for a gritty reboot that seems to have no rules. Regardless, I really want to read it. 

Future Quest is a series I've been collecting. Yet I've not been able to find those missing issues for the right price. But I am always on the eye for those holdouts every time I make a run at the bargain bins. Plus Shaner and Parker were so nice and inviting when I met them at a panel a few years back. I've got a loyalty towards approachable folks such as they!

I enjoyed this glimpse of titles. But I think my days of owning preview books are over. When  I first started out with my second collection of books, freebies such as these were a great way to boost my long boxes while giving me affordable looks at potential series I would want to use my hard earned cash for. Now that I have over 11,000 comics, storage room is at a premium and I think newer, younger readers would benefit more from titles such as this one.

Worth Consuming! 

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment