Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Scooby-Doo Team-Up #26

I'm way behind on single issue reviews. This Scooby-Doo Team-Up is from 2017. I read it the day or so after it dropped in stores. I just didn't get to it for one reason or another until now...

The Mystery Inc. gang team-up with kung-fu expert Hong Kong Phooey to investigate a plague of dragons terrorizing Chinatown.

This issue almost made me give up on SDTU. It wasn't because of the story. Sholly Fisch continued to amaze with his story. Fisch had gotten into a small rut around issues 3-10, using the same jokes over and over and over. But, he fixed that pretty quick after myself and other reviewers started to complain. Fisch also switched things up with having the villains not always be a ghost and sometimes not a guy in a mask either. So in terms of the storyline, things were fresh and fun.

What disappointed me was the artwork. In a lot of panels- and I mean A LOT!- the dragons are all cut and paste copies of one another. There's no originally. It's all Photoshop of the same image. And no, switching it to where some baddies face left and some fact right doesn't cover up the lazy artwork.

But what kept me from leaving this title was the fact that the artwork was by a guest artist. Scott Jeralds is the artist for this issue. The Muppet Babies and Krypto The Superdog cartoonist obviously utilized the animators trick of using the same image over and over to bypass artwork delays. But with the speed of a moving image, such a shortcut is able to fool the eye of the viewer. You can't pass off 7 dragon clones in a static comic book. Maybe in one or two panels. But it will get caught eventually!

I'm so glad I decided not to give up on this series. The last dozen or so issues have been awesome. Tomorrow, a new issue debuts with Scooby team-up with Black Lightning! I can't wait for it. One good thing about it is that regular artist Dario Brizuela is doing the art! The guy's vision of the DC/Hanna-Barbera universe is awesome!

A funny issue of which I hope to see Hong Kong Phooey making a return visit. Just maybe with a different artist.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment