Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Queen in Comics

Queen in Comics is a bit of a misnomer. From the title, I thought it was going to be an anthology of various times where the Freddie Mercury fronted band appeared in comic books and graphic novels. In reality, the book is split into 2 parts that alternate from sequential art form vignettes of the 50 year plus history of the band along with long form articles that dig deeper into the history of Queen as seen by a variety of artists.

Originally published in French in 2021, the comic segments were written by Emmanuel Marie. The text of the articles were by Sophie Blitman. I counted at least 18 different artists, presumably all French. None of the contributors are names I'm familiar with. 

A long time fan of Queen, I've seen several documentaries about the band. I have both Greatest Hits, Volume 1 and 2 memorized. Experienced their set at Live Aid, live from my cousin's house. I read a biography about Mercury and I saw Bohemian Rhapsody- in the theaters twice. So I have a fairly good knowledge of their history. Yet, I found myself learning some new facts and anecdotes about the group. Things like the near homicidal collaboration between Queen and David Bowie on what would become one of my all-time favorite songs, Under Pressure. I learned about Michael Jackson's influence on releasing Another One Bites the Dust into becoming Queen's best selling single in the US, as well as how Jacko's llama nearly scared Freddie to death during a recording session. Plus there was a lot of details on the solo careers of Brian May and Roger Taylor; two members of the quartet who often get overlooked despite still being the only original members of the band remaining and rocking to this day.

Learning some new facts about one of my favorite bands is not to say that some important segments of Queen's history weren't glossed over. Nowhere is there any mention of Queen's involvement in the 1980 Flash Gordon movie that bombed big time but has grown into a cult favorite. A lot is also made of Freddie's dying wish to spend his remaining days recording music with his mates. But important songs from this era like I'm Going Slightly Mad and Mother Love are omitted. 

Speaking of the dying wish of Freddie Mercury, in 1987, the singer was diagnosed with HIV which soon developed into AIDS. Just about every previous resource I have consumed on the history of Queen discusses Mercury's homosexuality and probable causes of where and how he may have contracted the disease. While Freddie being gay is mentioned as is his final relationship with hairdresser Jim Hutton covered, I felt like Queen in Comics decided that discretion was the better part of valor when it comes to the many excesses of Freddie Mercury. 

Publisher NBM Graphic Novels has several other music graphic novels in their coffers. Rock history lessons on Bowie, The Beatles and Michael Jackson have peaked my interest and I would not be opposed to reading and possibly owning those volumes in the future.

A really interesting read that changes narrative perspectives as well as art forms frequently, just like Queen. A bit of glam rock, some punk and bits of jazz and opera. Queen in Comics doesn't paint a complete picture of the band. But it does manage to capture the ever changing musical and cultural influences of these rock legends quite nicely.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment