Thursday, November 22, 2018

Bohemian Rhapsody

I was finally able to get the family together in order to watch this at the movies. It was very much worth the wait. And I want to see it again and again and again! Though the story is about how the legendary rock band Queen formed, Freddie Mercury is clearly the focus of the story.

People, namely professional critics, have complained of the inaccuracies. My biggest problem with the film was having 1977's We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions coming out in 1980. I'm not sure why they mixed up the timeline on that.

Anyway, the biggest complaint of the inaccuracies was the downplay of Mercury's homosexuality. But I think that the film did a great job of dealing with the subject without taking anything away from the main reason most fans went to see the film- the kick-ass music! Besides, Brian May and Roger Taylor were the producers. It was their story and their right to decide what was to be the priority and what wasn't.

One could also argue that the film wasn't long enough. In 2.5 hours, you just cannot squeeze everything epic about a band of 4 completely different people and do it right. This is one of those times I wish I could have been in charge of a movie instead of Brian Singer (X-Men.) 

Though Singer did an amazing job, I would have split the film into 2 parts. Part one would go from the start of the band up to Live Aid as it did exactly in this movie. But instead of doing a small glossing over Freddie's death, I would have part 2 coming out in 2019.

That segment would have dealt with the last 5 years of Freddie's life and the band's choice whether to stay together or not after the death from AIDS of their lead singer. There was just some amazing music and powerful things happening in those last days of Mercury's life that are not worth passing over. Besides you'd also need to show Adam Lambert's tenure with Queen at some point. He's no Freddie, but he's the best 2nd runner up in the biz for the job!

I'm going say this now- Rami Malek (Mr. Robot) should be nominated and win the Best Actor Oscar for this film. He was amazing. I don't feel that he should win because he's an Egyptian-American actor. I'm not playing some sympathetic race card as those of Middle-Eastern and African decent have been grossly under-represented in the Academy Awards. I support his role because there were times that I forgot it wasn't actually Freddie on screen. 

The idea to have a majority of the vocals be that of Mercury was the wise choice. Nobody can ever replace arguably the greatest voice of all-time. But if saying it's time that a person Middle Eastern heritage won the Academy Award for Best Actor, I will! Rami Malek really was that good in this part.

Be sure to not miss Mike Myers role in this film. When I saw his name in the opening credits, I thought it odd. But when you catch the Easter egg he throws to the crowd, it makes perfect sense. It was in a way--- excellent.

My pick for movie of the year. It may not be Best Picture worthy. But that might surprise you as well. It was a movie that will make you dance in your seat and even sing along. For once, I don't have to say I want the soundtrack because I already have all three of Queen's Greatest Hits albums. But I surely do want this on DVD when it comes out next year!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment