Sunday, August 18, 2024

Teen Titans, Vol. 1: A Kid's Game!

I don't know why I don't actively seek out the works of Geoff Johns. Everything of his that he writes has been something that I've enjoyed. I truly don't think he's ever written a bad sentence in his entire career. Maybe it's the subject matter. But that not entirely true. I'm a big fan of the Flash. He's one of my top 5 favorite superheroes. Yet, I think I've only read a fraction of The Flash books written by Geoff Johns.

I've owned this opening volume of Johns' Teen Titans for at least a decade I'd say. It was something my best friend owned that I inherited. While I added this book willingly to my collection, for the longest time I just couldn't bring myself to read it. Then my online database up and shutdown so as I rebuild a personal directory of my collection, I'm making decisions over whether to keep a lot of the unread pieces of my collection or not.

'A Kid's Game!' takes place almost immediately after the events of 'Graduation Day'. With the death of two Titans, both Young Justice and the Titans disbanded. In the aftermath there are two schools of thought: no more team-ups led by Nightwing or Cyborg's vision to train the next generation of superheroes. With the blessing more or less of Batman, Superman and Wally West, Cyborg along with Starfire and Beast Boy have agreed to act as mentors to the revitalized Teen Titans. With their tutelage on the weekends, Robin, Superboy and Impulse will finally see action not as sidekicks but full-fledged heroes.

Lurking in the background is a third party who intensely believes that children should not wear capes. Whomever this mystery player is, they'll be willing to maim and kill to keep the Teen Titans from reforming. Even if who they hurt is a teenaged hero.

Mike McKone's, artwork, among others, matches so well with this storyline. The first 3 issues of this version of the Teen Titans sold out and went into multiple prints and I can see why! That buddy cop humor between those 3 amigos, Tim Drake, Con-El, now Conner Kent, and Bart Allen has carried over from Young Justice. The art is almost as fanciful as the original art from that series. Only it's a tad more refined. The action was so fast paced and I was so engrossed in this new era of Teen Titans that as soon as I finished this volume I ran to where I keep my collection and pulled out volume 2! If it's only half as captivating as this volume, I am in for one heck of a treat!

Excellent covers by the late Michael Turner.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment