Friday, January 12, 2018

The Flash: The Secret of Barry Allen (Volume 6)


After an attempt on the life of his wife, Wally West made a deal with the Spectre to have his secret identity become secret again. The deal comes with a catch. It not only made everyone forget that Wally is the Flash. It also made him forget too! Thusly Keystone City is without a protector and that means it’s open season for the Rogues!
As Wally regains his memory, he must face the consequences of his actions. His wife has left him. The Justice League is weary of their mysterious ally. In addition, Wally must learn to have faith in himself as his brings his city back under control.
Meanwhile, the events of Identity Crisis is unravelling in the DC Universe. Sue Dibny has been murdered and the terrible role Wally’s Uncle, Barry Allen played in the punishment of Doctor Light has been revealed to both the superhero and criminal communities. Can Wally continue to operate as the Scarlet Speedster knowing that his idol was flawed? Moreover, how will West be able to rectify his image considering how his deal with the Spectre has tarnished his own image as well?
I’m a huge fan of the Flash. However, it’s the Barry Allen Flash that I am so devoted to. I do not hate Wally west. It’s just that I grew up reading the classic Barry Allen Flash tales and that’s the one I am fond of. So when I found a trade that united both the Allen and West Flashes together,, I thought this to be a good starting point to determine if I want to get into the Wally West years or not.
Geoff Johns wrote this book. The man is a freakin’ beast when it comes to writing anything DC. (Okay, has he written for any other company?) With that being said, I knew that I would be in good hands diving into the West era. I was not wrong either. Johns crafts two very compelling storylines while blending the action in seamlessly with the events of Brad Meltzer’s Identity Crisis.
Artwork duties were executed by Justice League 3000’s Howard Porter. His style was pretty decent and the way he renders a Speedster on print media was adequate enough to make me feel like the Flash and other characters were animated on the static two-dimensional page. One thing I felt was off was Porter’s drawing of the Flash’s feet. Compared to the hero’s stick legs and very narrow hips, the feet look ginormous! Plus a little goofy.
I loved the covers by Michael Turner. He’s like the Tupac of the comic book world publishing works almost a decade after his untimely passing. However, The Secret of Barry Allen was from 2004-05, so that’s not the case here. Nevertheless, his covers are amazing!
I was really impressed with this trade. I think if I ever come across further volumes, I will definitely consider them- for the right price. But right now, it’s completing a run on the Barry Allen Flash books that’s my main priority. Once I complete that search, who knows? Maybe a run of Wally West tales is next?
Worth Consuming!
Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment