Sunday, November 19, 2017

Justice League



Centuries ago the Apokoliptian war lord Steppenwolf sought to make the earth the latest conquest in the name of the Fourth World. But an alliance between the realms of men, Atlantis, and the Amazons resulted in his first ever defeat. Driven insane with embarrassment of his lost, Steppenwolf was exiled and his three mother boxes, called the Trinity were hidden away from the rest of the world. 

With the death of Superman, the time is right for Steppenwolf's return to conquer earth again. As mankind mourns the loss of the Man of Steel, morale is at an all-time low for the human race. Thus, fear and anguish are just what the New God needs in order to power his horde of Parademons for attempt #2.

Aware of a mounting attack, but hopelessly out-manned, Bruce Wayne seeks a to raise his own army of defenders. Aided by Diana Prince, Wonder Woman, the Batman has a list of potential helpers. But does the aging billionaire playboy have what it takes to recruit a speedster with ADHD and social anxiety disorder, an aquatic hippie, and a cybernetically enhanced teen who can communicate with Steppenwolf's mother boxes?

Justice League was been getting slammed in the press, mostly by critics and amateur online reporters that don't understand comic books. Everyone is making such a big deal of what Rotten Tomatoes has to say. That site is just an average of critics nationwide and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Back in my day, nobody cared what Siskel and Ebert thought about the movies. We just wanted to see them insult each other- and maybe throw a punch. Gene Shalit's mustache was more important to us than what he thought about films. The only critic worth listening to was Leonard Maltin. But he's more like Bob Costas in that his depth of film knowledge is so impressive, he's like the Stephen Hawking of movie history. 

Look, if you don't even want to read my review, that's fine. I do this blog because I like to write about geeky things and this is more like my personal reading and movie journal. If it inspires someone to give something a go- cool. If they decide not to consume something because of my opinion- that's fine too. But I am in now way the only opinion that should matter. I might be considered an expert in comics because of my 40-years of knowledge on the subject, but in the end- it's all up to you on whether to see the Justice League movie.

Anyways, now that I cleared that, here's my take on what went right and wrong with the film. 

Not Long Enough- The movie runs right at about 2 hours. DC is taking a huge gamble putting the League together first and then building solo films around it. They're having to play catch up to Marvel and the speedy pace is off-putting to many. Personally, I would have liked to have seen the movie about 15-20 minutes longer.

 I hope there will be a director's cut. But please DC/ Warner Bros, don't make it for Bluray only! I still have student loans to repay and can't afford one just right yet.

Music To My Ears- Composer Danny Elfman was behind a majority of the tracks in this film. Though he's been a bit of a dick about it, I did enjoy having the 1989 Batman theme and some of the Animated Series peppered throughout the film. It's a been a very long time since I left a movie wishing that the music store was open. I really do want the soundtrack to this. It's pretty great.

Lack of Heavy Hitters- Having Steppenwolf as the main bad guy is really not the best idea. Most people I talk to have actually responded to my naming of him by saying 'That 70's rock band?' I kid you not. Honestly, I was hoping for an appearance by Darkseid, Steppenwolf's master, but even he is less of a household name than the Joker, Luthor, or Penguin. 

Another relative unknown to many is that of Cyborg. Unless you are familiar with the New 52 Justice League or the Teen Titans, not many casual fans are going to be very knowledgeable of him. I had a Cyborg Super Powers action figure as a kid and I remember him from some version of Super Friends in the 80s and I thought newcomer Ray Fisher was really good as the reluctant hero. But for every 1 me out there who grew up with the character, there's probably 3 people who are asking 'Cyborg? Who's he?'

Hail to the King- Tapping into Kirby's Fourth World is smart. Jack Kirby's very short stint at DC sent the publisher into a quantum leap that rivaled Marvel. Honestly, I feel like Marvel's Infinity War stuff is way less interesting than Kirby's New Gods. The House of Ideas is banking on the creations of Jim Starlin to send the Marvel Cinematic Universe into it's next phase of films. But let's be real people- Jim Starlin is no Jack Kirby!

Casting- For the most part, DC got almost every character right. The dup of Gal Gadot, and Ben Affleck as Batman and Wonder Woman is perfect. As I said earlier Ray Fisher's Cyborg was great! And man I think I am in love with Jason Momoa. His portrayal as Aquaman finally made the character relevant and not the joke of the DC Universe.

But I have to talk about Ezra Miller's version of the Flash. I really don't think Miller's acting was terrible as that I think Zack Synder vision of the speedster is flawed. Miller's Barry Allen is hyper, socially awkward, and the comic relief of the team. That's not Barry Allen so much as how I would describe Allen's great-grandson Impulse (Bart Allen.) Maybe the heads at DC didn't want people to be confused between the Flash on Justice League with Grant Gustin's superior version of the Flash on the CW. But for a huge Flash fan like myself, I was a bit put off.

The Chuckle Hut- Finally, I want to talk some about the laughs. Apparently, Zack Synder's version of the film was too dark and so when he stepped down after a family tragedy, Warner Bros. called in Joss Whedon to beef up the lighter side of the film. I understand that the Flash was used ad nauseam for a majority of this. But did you have to turn Batman into a heavily armored version of Spider-Man? 

At about the halfway point of the movie, Batman starts making one-liners and kinds taunts both his teammates and the villain in a way similar to that of Peter Parker. We already had a great movie with Spider-Man and a billionaire playboy with lots of tech. We didn't need to morph the two together in the second act of Justice League.

I had a ton of fun with this movie. There's some great Easter Eggs and I personally have a theory about who the seventh member of the League is. All I will say is that he's already made a couple of appearances in the movie. But it will be some time before I post my theory as to not be accused of spoilers.

Despite the negative press, Justice League is a great way to spend a couple of hours. Though a bit scary with those Parademons, Justice League is a lot more fun for the whole family than current comic book movie competitor Thor: Ragnarok, which has quite a bit of innuendo and overt sexual content. So if you desperately need to escape the house with a nephew or cousin this Thanksgiving weekend for a little bit, flock to the theaters and check it out. In the end, after the two bonus scenes, I think you'll be glad you did. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment