Saturday, February 14, 2015

Madman: Atomic Comics Volume 1: Existential Exits!


Madman: Atomic Comics! #TP Vol 1
  From many of my reviews, you'll know that I absolutely love the artwork of Michael Allred and the color palette of his wife, Laura. Next to Alex Ross, he's my all-time favorite artist nut this guy can write too! I've read quite a bit of his assorted works but when it comes to his most famous creation, Madman, I'm quite deficient. In terms of Madman, I've read a crossover with Superman and a holiday special of some sort and that's it. It's not easy to find Madman stuff, but I came across this book at a used bookstore that I rarely go into.  It's a nice little shop, but I don't frequent it mostly because they don't carry very many graphic novels. But on this day I got lucky.

    When it comes to Madman I know so little of him that I didn't even know his origin. That changes in this book where Madman awakes in a universe that's similar to his but has an off feel to it. As he learns where he really is, both he and the reader get a crash course on the History of Madman. Once the primer is over, Madman learns that this universe is the wrong one because his girlfriend Joe doesn't exist in it. Thus the mad dash to get back home begins.

     This leads to the visually stunning issue #3 in which Madman meets up with a superhero from his world. In an homage to Barry Allen, this hero exists only in comic books from Madman's universe. Along the way, Madman and this superhero are depicted in the style and genres of dozens of artists. (I lost count at about 53 but Mike Allred pencilled every panel in perfect mimicry of artists such as Jim Davis, Jack Kirby, Matt Groening, Alex Ross, Carmine Infantino, Frank Miller, and many more with Laura recreated their ink work and colors to a tee. It's was like if Rich Little knew how to draw instead of doing vocal impressions. Amazing and fitting for a couple like the Allreds who love pop culture!)

      Eventually, Madman makes it back to his universe but in true comic book style, Madman's love remains unrequited when his reunion with girlfriend Joe results in his needing to team up with the mutant beatnik superhero team the Atomics in order to save his universe (as his return has caused some sort of rift in the space-time continuum. Plus he crashed landed on some distant planetoid, light years from earth.)

      Once Madman saves the day, don't expect a happy ending as this victory comes at a price that will result in more than one death and cause two heroes to strike out into the great unknown holding on to each other and that's about all they got.

     This series ended with issue 17. However, this volume ends with issue 7. So there are lot of plot threads that have yet to be neatly tied up. I hope to get my hands on the other two volumes very soon. I just hate for lovable ol' Madman to be sad. It's like a rainy Christmas- there's just something a little wrong with that.

    Worth Consuming but man is this some trippy stuff.

    Rating: 9 out of 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment