Monday, March 28, 2016

The Picture Taker (One-Shot)


 Picture Taker (1998) 1

I got this one shot Indy a while back from a grab bag. It's not something that was on my radar but the art looked very similar to that of Paul Dini’s Jingle Belle and anything Kyle Baker. So I held on to it.


About a week ago, I came across this book looking for something else to read and decided now was the time to check it out. So was it worth the wait? Or would I have been better off if I had just forgotten it existed?


  The premise is that of a young scientist who returns to his hometown to bail a former test subject out of the drunk tank. The prisoner in question is the title character, who has the psychic ability to take pictures of things in his mind. His ability is real but he's been disgraced having used fakery because his alcoholism interferes with his powers.


  This 1998 work by Phil Hester and Mike Worley was drawn in a classic cartoon style from the 70s or 80s makes the reader feel like this is an innocent little tale. But with adult language, adult themes, and plenty of angst, this comic is anything but. It actually reminds me a little of the 90s cult classic film, Grosse Pointe Blank, what with its theme of 'you can't go home again- well actually you can but it's just not the same anymore.' (Okay- that's not a real theme, but that's this book's premise boiled down and placed in a nutshell.)

I did enjoy the Picture Taker, but I really hated the ambiguous ending. Not having a story end with a definite ending is a major pet peeve of mine. It’s like buying a book that has a ‘To Be Continued’ at the end and you don’t have volume 2 on hand!


  But despite the open ending, this was a good read Worth Consuming.


  Rating: 7.5 out of 10 stars.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment