Friday, September 9, 2016

Lego Star Wars: Darth Maul's Mission (Family Comic Friday)


Yes- this is a children’s book! It’s either completely wayyyyyyy too young for me or I’m wayyyyyyy too old for it.
  Whichever.
  So, why did I check it out and read it? Well, it was placed in the New Arrival Kids Graphic
Novel shelf at my library. I had recently watched the Freemakers Lego Star Specials Cartoon Network and while geared for kids, I did find them very funny. That explains the Lego Star Wars part, but why is a 38-year old husband trolling the kids section. Over the years, I’ve been working on building up the graphic novel sections (in 13 years, it’s gone from 1 shelf to over a dozen, plus a kids and young adult section.) It doesn’t help that the librarians at my local branches don’t really know what’s appropriate for kids and what’s not. I mean, I found Watchmen in Young Adult once and Death: High Cost of Living in the kids section!
   Anyway, the book wasn’t a comic book or graphic novel by any stretch of the imagination. It needs to be shelved in young readers for sure. Even though the characters used word bubbles to speak, there isn’t any sequential action indicative of the comics medium.
  It’s a children’s book, through and through. Though, there are plot holes as the action goes from Naboo to Tattooine to a dance party on said desert planet and back to Naboo with no answer as to why Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan make the interplanetary u-turn in the first place. Talk about your suspensions of disbelief!
  Parents, expect many laughs and probably even more questions when reading this as a bedtime story.

Worth Consuming

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment