Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Revolution #1

      Transformers... G.I. Joe... Action Man... The Adventure Team... Rom: Space Knight, The Micronauts... M.A.S.K.- fighting either altogether or against one another. This is the type of team-up that any boy (and occasion girl) that grew-up in the 1980s wished would happen and if you happened to have all of these toys- it actually did. This is Revolution and it's the newest team-up from IDW.
  
     British operative Action Man has uncovered a plot in Greece that suggests someone on the G.I. Joe's has gone rouge. However, this plot, in the bowels of Mount Olympus, involves a rare mineral called Ore-13; the main power source of the Autobots and Decepticons. This suggests that the Transformers may have something to with the death of several Joes. It doesn't help that Optimus Prime recently made intergalactic strides at peace with the earth that sound an awful lot like a dictator settling claim to his newest territory. Thus, tensions between the governments of earth and the Cybertronians is at an all-time high. 
     The POTUS orders the Joe team to confront the Transformers in Portland as they attempt to save the city from a massive flood. But when Rom, the Space Knight appears on the scene, is he on the side of the Transformers or does he have an agenda of his own? One thing is for certain, by the end of this issue, a legend will die. 
Subscription Cover B by John Byrne, style
similar to the Marvel Handbook Covers.

     It was announced a few months ago that many of the HASBRO licensed toys were going to be contained within their own universe. Eventually, properties like G.I. Joe and Transformers are going to be appearing in live-action films together but those projects are a few years down the road. Revolution is the first step in achieving that goal and since IDW Publishing owns the rights to most of those properties, it makes sense that they are in a sense leading the HASBRO revolution.
     This first issue was a bit confusing to me. There's quite a bit of storyline that's taken place in previous issues of Joe, Transformers, Rom, and others that I haven't read. Thankfully, this book includes a refresher but it was put at the end of the book instead of the beginning. But once I read it, a lot of things fell into place. 
      This book wasn't on my radar. In fact, it wasn't until yesterday that I even knew that this series existed. The first issue, which I reviewed here, dropped today and I am so thankful that my favorite LCS was willing to hold a copy until I was able to get off work. I definitely want to read more and I think I will at least go one or two more issues before deciding whether to wait until later to complete the series from raiding the bargain bin or not. However, it's going to be tricky as IDW has it set up where you have to buy a series of one-shots along with the 5 issues of Revolution to get the whole story. But for now, I'm waiting on the edge of my seat to see what happens next.

    Worth Consuming
     
    Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment