Saturday, July 22, 2017

Legends of the DC Universe 3-D Gallery

 Man, was this book a disappointment. It's been the final book on my Legends of the DC Universe wish list forever. Last week, I finally found a copy, at a price just outside of my comfort range. After a busy week of work I was counting down the days until I had a chance to sit back and read it. And wouldn't you know- it's a freaking gallery book!

With exception of the illustration credits inside the front and back cover, there was nothing to read. Yes, there were some lovely illustrations. But when you expect to get to sit down and read a comic, you expect there to actually be words to read.

If you’ve been a long-time reader of my blog, then you will know that this is a huge pet peeve of mine. To buy a comic book and it basically be a portfolio feels like a waste. Oddly, enough, these gallery books are amongst some of the most sought out. They’re pretty expensive too. I think the reason this book was much more pricey than the others in the Legends series is because the book is in 3-D.

The comic (if you can call it that) comes with 2 pairs of 3-D glasses. Thus, in order to view the pictures, you have to tear the glasses out of the book. As I expect most copies of this book don’t come with them, it has made this book much more rarer.

I decided not to destroy my copy. I would rather hold on to this book as Near Mint than to enjoy it. Yes, that’s very rare for me. Maybe a collector is looking for this book and I can pass it along to them- for a price. I’m hoping I can get my hands on a pair of 3-D glasses elsewhere.Then I might enjoy the book as it was meant to with hurting the value.

Really folks, if I knew that this was just a book of artwork, it wouldn’t have been on my wishlist for so long. I didn’t have the word ‘gallery’ on my list, thus the oversight. Plus, I was so overjoyed when I found this at the comic book store, I overlooked that word. I know, it is my own damn fault for not paying attention. Maybe you are like me and extremely frugal when it comes to your purchases. If so, hopefully, you will appreciate my efforts to enlighten you on what this book really is all out.

Featuring art by masters such as Gene Ha, Dave Johnson, and others. The pictures are great. But this Madman needs words in his comics!

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment